Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I own a 2013 Explorer Limited 3.5L FWD, no power steering. I have a power steering assist fault, traction control fault. Also what is strange is the Traction control light that illuminates when your wheels slip is illuminated all the time, but the traction control still works normally. Also the Traction control OFF light is on as well. I've researched all of the ugliness that is the power steering recall of this vehicle (Mine is not in the range, was built on a later date), but I suspected the electric motor position sensor in the steering gear assembly was bad just like the recall states. I heard from a friend at FORD that they've seen a lot of the steering angle sensors fail recently, on multiple vehicles. These are located behind the steering wheel and clock-spring on the column. I am also suspecting this could be the issue considering my right and left turn signals do not stay on when I am turning...like they normally would. The express signal still works, blinks 3 times. I can activate the signal when I take it all the way down when I am going to turn, and it will blink if I hold it there...but when the lever returns to its neutral position, the blinker does not remain on and blinking. Both directions act this way.

Before I go and drop a grand on a steering rack assembly, I'm wondering if this part would be the whole problem. I am hoping that if the steering gear is bad, that it doesn't default to throwing these other issues. I am hoping the angle sensor in the column is malfunctioning and disabling the power steering (which if true is a very confusing design as to how dangerous it is to lose power steering while driving normally.)

Does anyone have an insight on this issue that could give me a few pointers? Thanks for any input on this matter.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Well, you're common denominator seems to be the body control module, but I have no idea on how to test it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swapped that with another module, no change. Vehicle is not showing an trouble codes unfortunately. I've got a new rack coming and will have that installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
aabry
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing