Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 63 Galaxie 500 XL. PS Control Valve went south and I acquired a rebuilt one for mechanic to install. It has gone south and I've acquired another for installation. If this one also fails, I'd rather substitute a modern component that is easier to get. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
"Went south", can you be more specific? You're problem may not be in the valve, just that the valve is taking the heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not mechanically inclined, hence hiring a mechanic to do the work. I'll give it a shot, however.

We Initially replaced the power steering piston, the control valve and hoses due to the piston failing and the control valve leaking. The rebuilt piston has held up, but the rebuilt control valve started leaking concurrently with squealing, thumping and bumping when turning the steering wheel. I called the company that provided the rebuilt components (through retail supplier) and described the symptoms, and they concurred that the valve seals had apparently not held up. Ordered another rebuilt control valve and that project is under way at repair shop. I'm just fishing for parts that may be more readily available if this effort also fails.

Hope that helps.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
Well, there's not really a drop in alternative. There is a chance that you got a bad rebuild. Three items that seem to have the highest failure rate when rebuilt are alternators, starters, and power steering components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts