Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Has anyone fitted a power steering cooler before and are they worth while?

Im running on the theory that oil and components last longer if they run a little cooler. I figured Id run it in line with the low pressure side of the oil lines and affix it in front of the radiator. Another question is wether it will cool it down because Im not too sure wether there is oil traveling through the lines when the steering wheel isnt moving????

Any thoughts?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Pretty much all modern cars run a power steering cooler in front of the condensor/radiator. Yes they work. Yes they save wear and tear (don't fit one too big though). I've used a very small auto trans cooler for this purpose on previous occasions (cheap from wreckers).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I picked one up from the wreckers for $10 and is a low restriction type. It is a straight through pipe type which bends back in a U shape so the input and output are on the same side. Its going into a XF and im wondering if it just goes inline with the low pressure side and does fluid constanly pass through this line or is it only when the steering wheel is being turned???

At least I think im on the right track.

Just thought id mention its dimensions are 300X100X40mm. Is it a good size for the application or a little too big.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
any cooler will do

the fluid is always moving through the lines whenever the engine is running.

yes you put it in line on the low pressure side, and yes it should hopefully increase the life of your power steering system :s6:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts