Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there hoping for some help being a completely car stupid

over the last couple of weeks i have noticed a increased whine coming from the steering column when driving. particularly when coasting, or not accelerating, the noise becomes a louder hiss. noticed a few days ago a small puddle of pink fluid under the van. looked as though it was under the hose coming from the power steering fluid reservoir. would this be a leak in the hose or seal from the reservoir to the pump? I know very little a but cars but live in a small community with no mechanic and wonder if this is something i can drive with the 70 miles to town with or not.

i believe the fluid level in the reservoir is quite a bit lower than the last time i checked it. could anyone tell me what type of fluid do i put in? i have read that ford aerostars require transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir. can i use regular pennzoil power steering fluid?

The power steering pump hoses and gaskets were all replaced last year as water or coolant had mixed with the power steering fluid and caused damage.

Also my van screeches when i first turn it over it is louder on wet days. it lasts only a few seconds. would this be the fan belt slipping?

I've also notice recently acceleration is more sluggish than previously, the engine temperature goes up about a third of the way after driving only a few minutes even on cold days. other than power steering fluid all the other fluid levels are good, no other leeks that i can see. no other engine noises. all of these things have started in the last month or so.

My van has roughly 183,000 kms on it. history since i acquired it in the last couple of years, replaced the transmission, power steering pump, hoses etc, brakes, electrical, fuel pump and other stuff of which I can't remember.

any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
198 Posts
The whinning usealy starts when fluid is low, yes, you can use transmission fluid. The trans fluid, I understand is better for the 90"s pumps, and they will be quieter. Unledd it is just flowing out onto the ground it shoud be good to go 70 miles. If on your way the steering stars to get hard, stop and add more fluid. If you have not changed the fan belt, it sounds like a good time. If it is getting sluggish change the spark plugs and wires and put in a fluel filter, if you have not done so this year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
bertha66
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing