Ford Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Again though there is the issue of torque....remeber power is what you see, but torque is what you feel. This makes the issue interesting because even if they stop at 300kw, how much higher can the torque go?

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
It could actually affect Holden more than Ford for now. GTS has had 300kw for a while so nothing new to market for them. They could drop it and increase Clubsports power but then they are losing $$ because they dont have a 95k vehicle. Besides Fords V8s have more low down torque than the LS1s ubnless they want to start stroking to 6 litres + which is costly for a Clubsport and Ford has more scope for weight reductions and a better gripping IRS for fast take offs.

Does anyone know how much Torque the GTSs new auto can take??

·
Banned
587 Posts
Adam W I also agree Im sick of this 300kw stuff as its only 300kw at the flywheel as most cars lose around 40% grunt when it gets to the wheels. I would not mind Ford or Holden going for 300rwkw instead.

I also agree if you want your stocker to go even faster- lighter flywheel and or quick shift auto and a superior diff and P/T to give more 'real' power to the wheels. I like Ford however giving more torque as you don't always feel all 300kw all the time, torque makes things fun. I also don't understand this power war bullshit with all those Jap imports arriving here and those Euro cars out there. I wreckon a 500kw mark they should be heading for and finally make a stock car smash the 12 second quarter easily . I just wonder how much grunt could Ford make for 92k car or you put 60kw extra into your new GT- 350kw?

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
er, Fonz mate, in case you havent noticed, not all people that buy HSVs and Tickford/FPV vehicles do so purely for the purpose of racing, a stock 12 second street car with a 3 year warranty? do you know how much power is required for a 1700kg car to do a 12? i'll give you a hint: A LOT.

imagine 300rwkw and 1700kg on a wet city street...you sneeze, you spin....into other cars...and hurt people...not everyone is a race car driver and not everyone is as good at controlling power oversteer as you/me/we are.

what they should do is make the 300kW limit, thats ok, but make the engines easier to tune, so the power is there for the taking, but you have to work a little to get it, this way the people who want to be able to say the have the most powerfull car on the block (small penis syndrome) can get the stocker, but the ones interested in actually going fast can perform a few relativly cheap mods for a fair bit more go.

·
Banned
587 Posts
If the limit car grunt they will hinder development it nearly as bad as Ford dropping the V8 from the range. Progress in any car obviously involves adding more grunt to the cars as well as sufficent safety and handling to take it. Were not talking about the old days when my dad was around when a BB V8 of this sort of car was a deathtrap. Your tactic will only encourage people to buy Mercs and Ricers with more balls than our own homemade cars. Then Ford may as remove the P letter in FPV if we apply your rationale to their division. You may have misinterpreted my post as Id rather buy a GT and muck around with it and it would not be hard to find a extra 10kw. Apart from Ford folks at the motor show telling me that the GTs are fairly 'tight' and any form of tuning would be difficult even for the likes of Herrods and the Mocks.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
you are forgetting that there are many differnt ways of getting more performance than adding power.

more power=worse fuel consumption, more wear and stress on mechanicals, worse tyre wear, etc.

if you reduce weight you automatically negate all of the above concerns, and gain a more nimble and safer car to boot.

i say 300 flywheel kw is ok for a factory car ('cept maybe the GT-P, which should be a vary low volume HEAD KICKER with more power than anybody needs...) that way Ford and Holden can focus on improving drivabiltity, power CURVES (not peak) here me holden? fuel economy, reducing weight (PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!) etc.

then we will get more efficient vehicles that are better for the environment - both to produce and run - less expensive to own (as the appetite for tyres and petrol under normal driving conditions will be lower) and will still go harder than any Ford or Holden before them. oh, and the guv'mint will not dislike them so much seeing as they will be environmentally friendly. sorta.

·
Banned
587 Posts
If we all love the environment we would not drive big gas gazzling sixes and OPEC supporting V8s now would we? Rollin has something gone wrong mate have you become a greenie or something. Better change that 'Wannabe Drift King!' to 'Peace love and Mung beans'. Those retarded greenies are spellbound at the moment to why the whole in the ozone layer is closing probably because it was just in the cycle of things not that any more CFCs and other things in the atmosphere. There probably smoking too much pot. As most of their theories about population, deforestation and other things are based on more ficticious material and guesswork than quantum physics is.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts