Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crown Victoria P71 Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I'm having trouble with the power windows on my 92 CVPI. The driver's window has stopped working. Motor is fine, but the window dosn't move. Question: Are there any on-line shop manuals that could show me how to fix it?
Thanks in advance!

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Are you getting power coming off the switch?

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can hear the motor running inside the door, but the window dosn't move. A local mechanic told me that it would cost about $200 to fix. At that rate, I'll just live with it.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Window probably came off the track. The only way to fix it is by pullig the door apart. It can be a pain, but it's not too hard usually. Just hope that nothing actually broke. Finding parts for stuff like that is tough. (unless you have a lot of time to spend in the junkyards)

It's wintertime anyhow, I'd just let it be until spring.

·
Ranchero Member
14 Posts
Most likely, the little plastic drive pieces inside the electric regulator have shattered. Ford is famous for this problem. You can get rebuilt window motors at the Ford dealer or find a regulator at the bone yard. The plastic pieces that go bad are the same for most Fords/Mercs up until the late '90s. These went bad on my Ranger and I used the parts from a Crown Vic to repair it. Unless you have access to a rivet gun that uses 1/4" rivets you probably will have to have a dealer or body shop do the repair.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mechanic showed me the rivet tool he uses - it's about three feet long. He said he tried using a bolt and nut once, but when he did, he tightened them too much and the window exploded.
Around here, we don't get much winter, so I may consider having it done., although $200 is kinda steep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts