Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Loco
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea of a little project I wanna do in my spare time. Basically, a laptop (or LCD with the Components under the seat) right beside the gears providing misc stuff to the driver.

Anything inside the computer (software/hardware) I can take care off without any issues, my initial problem lies with the fact I know nothing about electronics.

How would I go about Powering a computer in the car? It would only need to be on when the car is on. Would it be a direct link to the battery or would it be advisable to have something in the middle to store additional power seperate from the car battery? How long could I expect to power the computer?

For anyone interesting, I'm just gonna start off with the project providing sick visuals to the car audio. Then after it's working nicely, I'm going to move into a Virtual Dashboard, so that your current speed, K's, Petrol, Basically anything, will be displayed on the screen in a visually appealing fashion.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
You could get power from the cigarret lighter, you would need to get some power coverter, but it is possible.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
One of those AC to DC converters, we've got one for a travel fridge. Instead of plugging in to the cigareete lighter, just wire it up permenantly, and put make yourself a dummy plug or something.

Donno

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
The AU had power behind the cigarett lighter for accessories such as UHF CBs and Mobile phones, maybe you could run off that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts