Ford Forums banner

Turbo or supercharging for BOSS V8/GTHO?

• Supercharge

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • Turbo/Twin Turbo

Votes: 23 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering that the 5.4 BOSS V8 will more than likely utilise forced indiction, would you rather have it supercharged or Turbo/twin turbo?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Twin Turbo cos that aligns with the becoming very well known and respected XR6T.

GT-T

GT-S

GTHO-T

Then again supercharging woud be good too

Hey Cobra, whats the diff between GT and

Mustang Cobra R: 0-60 MPH - 4.82 sec, 0-100 MPH - 10.81 sec, QUARTER MILE - [email protected] MPH.

"Ford SVT Cobra R delivers 5.4L of DOHC 32-valve muscle. All this breathes out of a very low-restriction Borla exhaust that sounds like the starting grid at Daytona. Bow down to its 385hp (287kw) at 6250 rpm and 376 lb-ft (522nm) at 4250 revs."
MOTOR TREND, November 2000.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Hmm twin turbo versus supercharging.

These days i'm tending to believe its 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another. What do I mean by this? well they are both respected technologies, and work well. However look at the cars that use the technology.

TT:
Supra
Skyline

Supercharged:
Jaguar
Mercedes

I'm sure i'm missing some, but those jump to mind. Its basically an image thing these days. Pick the image you want the GTHO to run with.

I picked supercharging.

·
LOOKING FORWARD TO NYE!!!
2,512 Posts
im with minge and raptor 100% on this one

SUPERCHARGER (not centrifugal)

·
VENOM-AU2-XR8
290 Posts
I PICK TURBO .. Either single or twin :)

Unless we're talking a big 8/92 sticking out the bonnet or something... on a late model car.. mmm HOT

Reason i say turbo is because a Supercharger(Centrifical) will only create full boost (say 12psi) at the Redline. a Screw supercharger makes more heat than a turbocharger..

However, a Turbo will create full boost (12psi) from say 2800rpm on a v8 (depending on turbo size), all the way to the redline ...... mmmm more midrange if you ask me!. Or with a relativly large turbo, you get turbo rush :>

Each to their own i say :>

But you can sniff my smoke as i pass your supercharged v8 in my turbo v8 (all except your laminge, your crazy) :>

Danny

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
subsbligh35 said:
Hey Cobra, whats the diff between GT and

Mustang Cobra R: 0-60 MPH - 4.82 sec, 0-100 MPH - 10.81 sec, QUARTER MILE - [email protected] MPH.

"Ford SVT Cobra R delivers 5.4L of DOHC 32-valve muscle. All this breathes out of a very low-restriction Borla exhaust that sounds like the starting grid at Daytona. Bow down to its 385hp (287kw) at 6250 rpm and 376 lb-ft (522nm) at 4250 revs."
MOTOR TREND, November 2000.
200kg and a second difference in 1/4 time.

·
Mr Photoshop
1,155 Posts
A Twin Srcrew Charger. Just give it a water to air intercooler and the heat problem should be fine, plus twin screws are more efficent than older designs. Plus to hear the whine on a twin screw (especially on a V8) his heaven.

·
کhậ۴ţ
682 Posts
threefiftyone8 said:
It would be a shame to see the Aussie Falcons head in the direction of the Orient.
Want it to sound like a Supra?
No thanks!
erm,
1. Supras arn't V8's.
2. Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, Lancia and plenty of others use Turbo/Twin Turbo Set ups.

Iv'e said it before, and will say it again, One BIG FAT TURBO for the HO.

and Twins For a Tourer version.

Hearing a Big Turbo Spool Up on a V8 is nothing short of Heaven. :) And once the Boost Kicks in? Now that's something else.

·
walking power
3,035 Posts
Quote from Street Machine,
"We asked FPV cheif engineer Winfried Bielharz if a top-mounted blower was under consideration for any future HO program.
"No," came the swift reply."Thats old technology. Do you want to go forward or back?"

Personally i'd like to see it twin turbo, to go with the XR6T.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
If i had a small car (4 cyl or 6) i would probably go the turbo, but for a V8 i would definately go a supercharger. Not than i'm an expert on forced induction, but it would seem that while small engines can be effectively supercharged, a supercharger which runs all the time while the engine is running will take power from the engine to run it. A v8 may be more suited to this setup than a smaller engine. Comments?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts