Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wanting a few details on this sysytem.
Does it have a seperate amp to drive the subbie or is it built into the head unit?
How far does the subwoofer intrude below the parcel shelf?

·
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute
84 Posts
HSE2,

Yep it has an amp that is located in the driver's side rear quarter panel behind the carpeted plastic cover. It's a 4 channel amp with the rear channels bridged to power the 8" sub. The front 2 channels power the rear speakers. The front speakers in the car are powered from the head unit. The sub doesn't stick down very far at all (a couple of inches). Hope this helps. If you need more info, just ask.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
IAN IAN IAN IAN

DONT DO IT!

Please spend your money on a decent system and if you have one in mind let me know and i will get some prices from my contacts

:eek:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Gees Laminge! The Premium system is very good indeed. Especially for the cost. You get the factory look, no cutting/shutting/wiring, and it rocks! If you were real picky the speakers could be straight upgraded aftermarket, but I think the Ford system is very nice. It's only $700 odd bucks isn't it?

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I can vouch for how good the Premium system is in my Ghia. Sounds great and it's factory.But possibly it's a lot of stuffing around to get it put in later whereas installers do aftermarket ones all the time. In saying that, I still liked the EF-EL premium system better with all the surround settings n stuff.
Rastus.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
The premium sound setup is all Pioneer gear, I was very happy about that. :thumbup:

The sound is quite good, a lot better than a mass of aftermarket stuff I've heard. Note that Ford pay some attention to the acoustics when putting these stereos in, a lot of aftermarket stuff has a secondary view to that as power seems the primary aim.

Even with passengers the stereo stays in the driver-optimised settings in my car. :D

As mangrovejack said, the sub isn't all that obtrusive, and only intrudes an extra few centimetres over the middle rear passenger seatbelt anchor.

For sound quality, and even looks, this system is hard to beat. It's the kind of system that allows me to concentrate on other mods to the car - in this case, factory is more than enough.

·
7,777 Posts
VENOM:
If you fit the T series sound insulation package to the rear parcel shelf area the system sounds better. I wouldn't believe it normally, but it was proven to me last weekend (especially in rear seat).

First thing I do when I get my car is crank up Nine Inch Nails Closer to God single mix. That tests any system to the max! Ford premium handles it way better than the Holden systems.

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Hey Guys as a Car Audio nut like myself although the Ford Premium system is better than most. I have to say go upmarket and buy the best you can afford. You don't have to be as mad as me and spend over $4K on it but do yourself a favour and listen to a good after market system in a car and then decide...
Remember Ford buy their systems in bulk at a price...

Nipper....

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Car Stereo's, after Ford Cars, the thing I love the most;

Now, my advice, always buy speakers after market, unless you drive a Porsche or a Volvo. The speakers car makers put in their cars are a joke. They are cheap mass produced items costing as little as a few bucks each. The best way to improve sound is to replace these first.

Then you look at source units. One can buy a decent cd/tuner for around 350$ now. Couple this with an external amp, the amps in the source units are lucky to pump out 10watts rms a channel, and perhaps after that a sub.

The important thing with car stereos though is placement. I think Ford does a pretty good job in this regard. The system I had in my XR8 Pursuit had great image and sounded pretty good for a stock system. The system in my EL isnt bad either.

But both lack clarity, and the ability to crank. If you compare a well set up after market system it will blow and factory system away.

I am about to stick a cd/tuner, dsp, 3 amps, stacker, 2 15 inch subs, 8 other speakers in my EL.....

I could go into much more depth, but I wont bore you all to tears, but if any wish to chat about systems be my guest.................

Jas

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
yep the speakers are ****ty as in stock systems, but the power the HU feed them are even worse. they are probably like 40 W per channel max which is less than 10 W RMS. if ur lost then this is gay. 8" sub!! plz, get a real set of 6.5" splits and they will sound just as good. and fit into the original holes too. get a nice 12" sub, build a nice big box that is ported and have the port coming out of the original 8" hole. a ported box will play louder than a sealed one, and they are more effiecent too, so they require less power to go good! a nice set of splits are say 250-350, a 12" sub is 250-400, and an amp to power both is any good 4 ch amp which meets the power of the splits and subs best. if the sub is 200-250 rms, then go for an amp like a 4x100 RMS, when bridged will give the sub 200 RMS. also dont get confused about cheaper brands that say 4x200, and are half the price of the 4x100 amps. the 4x200 are stating the peak power values, where better brands state it in rms. HU that say 4x50W is peak. most speakers are in peak, most subs are in RMS, and amps depend on price. the cheap brands say power in peak, the expensive ones in RMS.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee that is a better response than I had hoped for. A big thanks to everyone. I might email some of you when I work out what I want to do. Answered my questions and a big help thanks.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Guys, we're not talking 4" 5Watters in the front doors with 6" 20Watters in the parcel shelf here. Whilst the premium system may not have the most powerful stuff available, the system as a whole is a killer package - 11 components all up. Unless you are some wanker moron who needs to earplugs to prevent yourself going deaf whilst advertising your love of ****ty doof-doof music cruising thrugh McDonalds car park on weeknights it's more than capable of handling most peoples needs. It certainly handles well my stereo-destroying stuff with ease.

On top, as a factory system it competes very well with other premium systems others use. I'd certainly not swap it for the Bose system in my old man's Audi offroad.

·
7,777 Posts
Have to agree there Venom. I would rate the Ford Premium sound almost as good if not equal to the Volvo systems (and there are more than a few aftermarket gurus who have praised Volvo!)

·
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!
302 Posts
Yep as far as OEM systems go the Premium System is very good. The reason that you got such a huge response is becuse those guys are from caraudioaustralia.

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
i recommend the use of earplugs when a passenger in my car :nuts: :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aussie Pete said:
Gees Laminge! The Premium system is very good indeed. Especially for the cost. You get the factory look, no cutting/shutting/wiring, and it rocks! If you were real picky the speakers could be straight upgraded aftermarket, but I think the Ford system is very nice. It's only $700 odd bucks isn't it?
I have been quoted around $1900 for just the head unit. Then I will need an amp and subbie and new rear speakers. If those prices are correct they are close to aftermarket.

I like the six indash CD as my single slot sucks and the fact that it looks like the Ford job. I was interested to hear that the head unit is Pioneer as this to goes against my other research. Pioneer claim to have no units that maintain steering wheel audio control aftermarket.

·
The cat in the hat
400 Posts
All Ford sound is now FMS. Alpine, Pioneer & clarion no longer get a look in..If you put AU2 head units into an AU you cannot use the steering wheel controls.

This is because of the speed warning device being on the same control switches as the audio. On au1 it runs straight to the radio on au2 it goes via the cluster.

Sold a few au2 units for au1, if you dont mind losing s/wheel controls they are a great system.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
partsguy said:
All Ford sound is now FMS. Alpine, Pioneer & clarion no longer get a look in..If you put AU2 head units into an AU you cannot use the steering wheel controls.

This is because of the speed warning device being on the same control switches as the audio. On au1 it runs straight to the radio on au2 it goes via the cluster.

Sold a few au2 units for au1, if you dont mind losing s/wheel controls they are a great system.
I wasn't aware that the series two head unit s would do that. Thanks partsguy.

Does this mean that you would gain the speed warning function.
I can't see any difference to the BMC used or the instrument cluster between series 1 &2 ?

·
The cat in the hat
400 Posts
No Ian, unfortunately not..

The clusters look the same, but are internally different. The only thing you gain is a lack of radio control!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts