epf22 falcon d bush 22mm-2pk x1 $17.10
pf795 rubber bush -2pk x2 $40.50
p7593 rubber bush -2pk x2 $32.40
ep156 urethane bush x1 $49.50
fitting $1,009.25
wa- Wheel Alignment $45.00

total $3,040.56
with 10% disscount they said

i only paid $4,000 for the car but its in very good nic other wise.
the other thing is the head gasket mechanic recons between $600 to a grand.
just to replace the gasket. and get machiened

and she is burning power stearing fluid and might need a new powerstearing pump
at $ 239.40

if i was just going to get standard shocks and sprongs they recon i would save bout 2- 300 more but might aswell pay the extra to get it done.

so what u guys think of the price ?

ne i know of a cheaper place i should get a quote from in perth
i would really like to know

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
not a chance.
pedders suck mate, take it to a independent suspension place

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
That's way offline, a complete bush set cost me $550 last time I did it, just can't remember where from :(
And why the HELL do you need new springs???!?!? In any case you can get a brand new set of King springs lows for $300 or so, but springs do not wear out. Period.
GT gas aren't the most expensive shocks around either, they're pretty much a stock option.
To save a bit of labour, how mechanical are you? Certainly the rear springs/shocks aren't hard to change, and a lot of the bushes in the suspension can be done very easily at home as well. The front springs are a little harder but still possible if you're dedicated. But you should be able to find somebody much better than Pedders. Try Wilkinsons suspension over by Malaga somewhere, they have a good rep.

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
$1000 for labor??? standard mech charges $60/h so that means its gonna take em 15+ hours to do this??? HAHAHAH what a ripoff! Pedders are shit. Go elsewhere mate

Brent

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
I presume you get shares in Pedders at that price????

If not - go elsewhere...

Burning power steering fluid - replace the fluid and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
tell them to sick it you know where !!!!!

·
WHATEVER !!!!!!!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeh i will deff check out that place in malaga i work out in malaga so i will call in there on monday.

i was thinking of trying it myself but just have to find the time.
neone roughtly know how long it would take to do it ??

i got one of thoes falcon /fairlane 1988- 1994 EA EB ED automobile repair manuals..
and was reading up on it..

if i stick to that i should pretty well be right hey

·
WHATEVER !!!!!!!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more thing would it be alot easyier if i had someone to help ?
or can y pretty much do it on ya own.

from what i read the back should be easyenought not to sure about the front thats all

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Pedders are soo full of shit. i went there and got a $14, 28 point safety check, and they gave me a quote for $1300, i told him to shove it up his arse.

its really funny when i had my bushes replaced a little while before and they said they all fuct.. they also love to say that the steering rack, and power steer pump is stuffed. I had my power steering serviced by ford only a few months b4.

I got new kings superlows for $170, all four!! :)

GT Gas shocks are acutally the same part number as the ford replacement ones, (well i no for a fact the rears are).

My advice, dont touch them. i wasted $14 and an hour of my time.

there is NO BULL, but a lot of BULL SHIT

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Hey silver bullet, check out whiteline.com.au they have complete "The Works" Kits for a wee bit over $1500 installed.. i think. Incl sway bars, springs.. everthing pretty much.

As for timew to do it. I lowered mine on saturday, took abot 30-40 min on rears. 2 or so hours on the fronts.
I was using a hoist but... and a apprentice mechanic :)
I would have been lost otherwise.

But if u read up, u should be fine

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Whiteline have also got a tech section, with a how to guide that mite be worth looking at

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
I didn't see any bushes there which you can't do yourself. Although you'd probably want to get somebody to use a press on the bushes in the rear control arms.
As to the p/s, I severely doubt the whole rack needs replacing. I've had 3 or 4 people ask me for advice on Pedders quotes now and on every single one they've wanted to replace the rack.

None of the racks needed replacing.

Particularly amusing was one guy who they wanted to charge $2500 to change all his shocks, rubbers, steering rack, etc. I tightened up his wheel bearings and fixed the vibration. Shocks were a little old, but not that bad.
So yeah.
Oh BTW if she keeps burning fluid and nothing else works, I've got good s/h pumps for $80. Try before you buy - if it doesn't fix it you can give it back :)

·
EA Ghia
69 Posts
i have an ea fairmont ghia serII 1990

ive actually got my car booked into pedders to do my front upper control arm inner bushes, $341dollars for neolathane bushes and mounting kits (adjustable) fitting and wheel allignment. does that sound right? i know they are stuffed cause there is about 5cm play on the upper control arm from side to side. they also told me my power steer rack is stuffed to but im starting to doubt it now. they also said i need all new bushes, some of them i do cause i have inspected them myself but most of the ones they said need replacing dont.

btw i got quoted 64bux for the upper inner bushes from repco, i rang up pedders and they told me i need there adjustable ones cause the car is lowered and i need them to get the car wheel aligned
does this sound right to you guys

·
WHATEVER !!!!!!!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheeres for the info guys i will ring around and let ya know what happens.

oh yeh enigen mounts r they hard to replace. left hand side 1. in particular.
its broken :(

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
DrE, sounds like they're fitting a camber/caster kit as well?

Engine mounts aren't too hard to replace, undo the old one the jack the motor up inside the car. L/H is the easiest one, the steering rack doesn't get in the way as much.

·
EA Ghia
69 Posts
they just told me they are fitting the bushes and the mounting kit for them, the kit costs 176 and the rest of the price was fitting and wheel alignment

i would do them myself but do i have to use a press to remove the bushes?

cheers

chris

·
Registered
193 Posts
total $3,040.56
with 10% disscount they said
Thats real expensive... thats why you should learn mechanics real quickly. It's not really that hard once you know how.

Oh btw, whoever wrote that CFI headgasket guide says you need to take the radiator out to do the headgasket, which is wrong. There is no point taking the radiator out unless you are going to change the timing chain as well.

·
WHATEVER !!!!!!!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeh wish i had the time to do more. but after work i cen never be ****ed. to buggered

lol

think i will start doing more of my own stuff with the car cost me less and lest then i can keep track of whats been done.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
fordfanatic said:
Thats real expensive... thats why you should learn mechanics real quickly. It's not really that hard once you know how.

Oh btw, whoever wrote that CFI headgasket guide says you need to take the radiator out to do the headgasket, which is wrong. There is no point taking the radiator out unless you are going to change the timing chain as well.
It only recommends removing the radiator so that you can get it flushed and checked for leaks. A blown head gasket is often caused by a blocked radiator, so while the tutorial could have made it a bit clearer that it's only a recommended procedure, it is by no means wrong...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts