Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband must be HE MAN because he keeps breaking the driver's side door handle of our 95 F150. Over the past two years we have replaced the door handle 6 times, it may only be $8-10 but that adds up over a while. It always break right before the hole for the bolt to go into it. The handle is made of plastic, I have looked over all the Ford sights and trick out sights but I can not find a metal handle. Any one have any ideas before we end up spending as much on the door handle as we did on the truck:eek:hman:. I will greatly appreciate any input great or small.:hy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
keep using the plastic handle which is more resistant (flexible) than the metallic one, your problem probably is door latch incorrect adjustment and your husband, to get the door open, is pulling too much getting to a point (top) where the handle start steessing until it breaks after several times. The door should open when the handle is about 1/2 or 3/4 of complete travel. Revise door latch mechanism for wear, looseness, clealiness, lubrication and correct adjustment. Hope this will help...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your info EL LLANERO:clap:. I will tell my husband to read this and see if we can fix the problem. We have the Haynes repair manuel so hopefully w/ that we can figure out how to revise the door latch mechanism. Thanks again:hy:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The latch is a very good possibility, as well check your hinges that they are not worn and sagging. Easiest wat to see this, is watching the top of the door closely (from the outside of the truck) open the door slowly and watch too see if it drops. (You could also use the body line for a point of reference.) If this is the case you will need to replaces the hinge/s. I am not certain with this year but the '91 and older models, the door structure around where the handle mounts is notorious for cracking. (this may need to be welded if the case) This will cause the handle to travel before moving the latch release rod...thus pulling harder on the handle and breaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yea i have the same truck and i had to do the same thing since ive changed to a metal handle it has not broke except mine was factory handle from a older truck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts