Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I have some issues with me car now that i have added a larger cam and done some head work.

It is running richer then Bill Gates!

Also when the guys put me head back on they fuked around with the cam timming and it's way off.

I have a chiptourque chip and was wondering if i should scrap it and buy a different com or get a fuel only com?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking maby tubotarana may be able to "plug n play"?
Does it plug into the std com and change the fuel map n stuff?
I was reading that there are plug n play things for the el com but there are only a few who have one?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would change the whole lot.

The VE's of the engine changes altogether as well as it moving around when you start fiddling internally with the motor.

When we changed the cam in my mates car the timing curve change a lot. It went from 38 deg total to 28deg But still liked the same initial advance (16 deg).

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
I think turbotoranas gear is only for EB/Ds?
Ask the dyno guy maybe, if u still get it done

Sounds pretty fat now aswell :hy:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only coz it pumps shit loads of fuel into the muffler.:lol:
I rang chiptourque today, somone who knows somthing finally.
Everyone else i rang knew fa!
He said the best thing they can do is for me to tell them all the details of the head and other mods, send the chip to them (Brisy) and they can fuk around with it and make it all good.

The good thing about this that it is $100.
Bad thing that it kinda sounds like they are guesstamating what they change???

Another optio is to get a "Unichip" installed.
Good thing= can be tuned in real time.
Bad thing=$1200, and is also a piggyback system which I have been told is crap coz the ford com learns over the chip??

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Even if you can't go 'plug n play' to wire in a new aftermarket ecu shouldn't take more than 1/2 a day if you can read a wiring schematic and use a soldering iron.

The Wolf 3D ver 4 costs $1100 and there's a pro tuner and installer there in perth. You should be able to do it for $1600 or less if you install it yourself including the tune.

381 Posts
SVO XR6, if you have the EL which has the older style computer in it (ecc 4,no coil pack), the plug and play harness for the EA to ED will fit. It only takes 5 min to check. The EMS 8860 is a very good engine management system to use.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I aint got a coil pack.
How much is the 8860?
I dont need a hell fancy com due to having no plans to go forced induction.
Maby nos?

·
Registered
847 Posts
turbotrana said:
SVO XR6, if you have the EL which has the older style computer in it (ecc 4,no coil pack), the plug and play harness for the EA to ED will fit. It only takes 5 min to check. The EMS 8860 is a very good engine management system to use.

umm the EL has EEC V but uses the old ED 60 pin plug and they can just plug straight across between EBII-ED and EL. The EL ECU harness will be wired to some extra goodies though, can the 8860 handle things like knock sensor and bbm manifold switching or does it hook up spliced with the old ECU to get the best of both bits?

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you aren't going forced induction then a Wolf 3D ver3 or a EMS 4424 stinger or a Microtech would be enough. They all run around the $1000 mark.

381 Posts
EMS 8860 is $1295, adaptor harness is $330. It will control BBM/NOS but not knock sensor (not many aftermarket ones will do knock sensor). For the manual tranny you replace the whole factory computer. For the auto you use both. Nevertheless both are a full plug in affair, no cutting of any wires. As yet I have not done an EL so I would have to put the extra wire in for that and program to suit. I have a fuel map for a stock EA but the fuel map would have to be refined for the BBM. The EMS 8860 interfaces directly with the Thick Film Ignition module that Ford use which allows it to be a straight plug in affair. I've heard the other ones mentioned dont interface with the ignition module directly which then involves a bit of mucking around. The EMS 8860 is real simple installation and very transferable.

·
Registered
847 Posts
wow sounds good i think eventually i will be heading that way.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turbotrana, mate... Feel like installing a EMS in a ELR6????
Not yet but, gotta buy tyers first, ehhh.
Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im torn.

EMS or unichip?

The unichip coz it's easy and there is heaps of support here in wa. Also easy to retune.

But, the EMS is good coz it is so flexible, but a little more expensive???

381 Posts
Unichip is pretty old now and a pretty basic piece of equipment. If you want to go with the signal bender type of tuning equipment I would go with the Chiptorque Exede. It is much more sophisticated and you are not locked out of programming it yourself and well priced. It was only released a little while ago (newer technology) while unichip has been around in its original form for some time. With the Unichip , for any alterations to the tuning you need to go to an authorised tuner everytime and this will end up costing alot in the long term. Either with the Exede or EMS I can help with. I still think that EMS is your best bet by a long shot. I've had 20 odd years modifying cars and I learn't very early on not to cut corners for the sake of a few hundred dollars. Especially if you think you will have the slightest inclination to modify further when you will need the more sophistcated equipment.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So how much installed for the ems and tuned?
Also the Exede?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
who do i contact to get info on this exede thingo and the ems?
Web sites?

Also, can i give you a ring turbotrana?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts