Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 605 Posts

·
custom airride cv project
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Right, the next exciting installment. Rear brakes.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I know the last owner said the front calipers had been changed, and a handbrake cable, but nothing about the rear brakes. So lets have a look<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Centre cap off on passenger side. Doesn't look too bad.<o:p></o:p>

First view of the drum. Rusty, but not too bad.<o:p></o:p>

Drum off, doesn't look too bad.<o:p></o:p>

Shoes okay, lets have a closer look at the slave cylinder.<o:p></o:p>

Shoes off to have an even closer look at the cylinder. Doesn't look damp.<o:p></o:p>

Lets get the dust cover off and really see what it's like.<o:p></o:p>

Oh dear, lets have a look at the other side<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>.............................</o:p>

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I'm not a pro mechanic but that I don't like and the LH piston is stuck solid. So, onto the bench we go, Extract the pistons with compressed air and a hammer, and this is what we have<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Serious clean up and the cylinder and seals are not too bad, so its rebuild time. Now I have rebuilt loads of slaves over the years by cleaning up the seals and cylinders and having no problems, so lets try it again. New ones ordered just in case (£18 each + VAT - US Automotive).<o:p></o:p>
All put back and brake bleeding time. Time to call in my lady Wife to monitor the and top up the level in the master cylinder.<o:p></o:p>
Now I have seen some funny colour brake fluid, but this looks like stagnant pond water or is it LHM fluid. In fact I had to check the M/C cap to make sure it is brake fluid and not LHM fluid!<o:p></o:p>

Heres where its starting to look a bit cleaner<o:p></o:p>

Heres my trusty mityvac in operation and a comparison between the old and new fluid.<o:p></o:p>

Other side tomorrow, but a last look at the wagon before I have a well deserved rest!<o:p></o:p>

Oh, forgot to mention. Nobody told me it has self levelling rear suspension!<o:p></o:p>

I wondered what that compressor on the front LH inner fender was!!<o:p></o:p>
Front brakes check next. Last owner said these had been changed, and there is a spare new one in the back.<o:p></o:p>
Andy.<o:p></o:p>

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Repeated all he above on the other side, and moved to the front drivers side.
Wheel off

to reveal.......

new caliper, disc, pads and flexy line. Good news.
Well, not all good, because the plastic dust shield behind the disc has melted and deformed

So, the caliper and disc had to come off to extract it.

Order one of those later.
have a look at this photo of the drop link, and more specifically the bushes that have perished.
Something else for the order book!

Have a close look where the link goes through the lower control arm. The hole has worn oval. i will remove that and weld it up in my next holidays (3 weeks time).

Some of my parts should be arriving tomorrow, so I may be able to get the engine together in time for a test run and then the plenum coming off and the PCV valve. grommet and screen to be replaced.
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some parts arrived today, and I'm still dismantling!!

Top box contains the official thick workshop manual ($20 for the book and $45 shipping!!).
Bottom box is from US Automotive and contains plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil, air and fuel filter, thermostat, rad cap, AC/PS serpentine belt and intake gaskets (plenum and 2 inlet to head). Well, I hope they are in there! Not checked yet.
Back to the car:
Removed battery and noticed that the battery tray is an extension of the plastic inner wing and reinforced by steel bracing underneath. This is the remains of that support

Need to make one of those then, Should be straightforward, then I will stand the battery on one of those battery mats.
Over to the plenum. Major oil leak back there and I bet its the PCV valve.
Here are better views with the plenum removed.

Got some serious cleaning up to do there!
And guess what? The PCV valve was off its seat. Excessive crankcase pressure? Tell me it aint so!!!
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Heres a photo of the PCV valve and its grommet and the screen thats underneath.

As you can tell from this picture of the grommet, someone has tried to glue it in. You can see the glue on the top section.

I'll get one of them ordered tomorrow. PCV valve is clear now and screen has been degreased and blown through with 150 psi air line.
I have sprayed the heavily oiled area (even down to the transmission and beyond) with degreaser and I will leave it overnight to soak in. Careful application of water and air, and it should be a lot cleaner. Then its valve covers off and on with new gaskets. Trouble is my Wife says I absolutely stink now due to the degreaser, so I got thrown out of the house to get changed!!
Have a close look at the passenger side rear light. It should be secured down with 4 screws. There is actually only 1 left!!

Easy fix though!
Heres a couple of photos of the front leather seats. The drivers has a split in it where the leather has dried out, and the passenger is just about to go as well. Got a leather expert out yesterday who confirmed the leather was irrepairable and neede replacing. Matching the colour won't be a problem. Cost? Well, I asked if i could help do it to cut down the cost and he agreed. Should be somewhere near £300 to replace the bases of the front seats and dye and condition the rest.

Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks rtg.

Spent an interesting 2 nights with a can of degreaser, a hose, a rag and an airline! Can't believe how much oil is on this engine and behind it!
Heres a quick shot of the various vacuum pipes behind the plenum as a result of the pcv valve losing its grip!

And guess what, I can't locate a PCV valve grommet in the UK. So Rockauto it is, at $1.71 for the part and $23 shipping! Phew! I'm so jealous of you guys in the US!
Right, how about a before and after photo
Before

After

A bit cleaner eh? And far smellier! Can't wait for the headers to burn that lot off!
Next job while I'm waiting for the grommet to arrive? Valve cover gaskets.
Valve cover removed and it's looking pretty black in there

On to the bench, and all cleaned up for the new gasket.

Other one tomorrow.
Xmas came early today!

and my youngest popping his head in to see

Future cutom car builder?
Radiator arrived in the UK from Rockauto in 4 days! $83 for the rad and $120 shipping. Bit better ratio than the grommet.
Very difficult to get one from the UK. Most don't stock it and require a couple of weeks delivery!

Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Interesting day today! My dad broke down in his Yaris (left his lights on), our caravan started to show signs of water droplets inside and our big Ford (renamed project Marmite by my good lady Wife-for obvious reasons!!) made a few more tentative steps to a fire up and reliability.
So, inbetween rescuing my dad and stripping the caravan down, I managed to do a few jobs on the car.
First was the replacing of the valve covers with the new gaskets. But, not quite as simple as it seemed because there is a bracket at the back of the drivers side valve cover that secures some wiring multiplug connectors. And its rusty.

Needs a good clean up and repaint. So, out with the media blaster

Here it is after blasting

Etch primer next

Then painted black and reinstalled.
Next? Engine bay clean up of unecessary bits. ie thermactor components and brackets (not needed for our emission tests and badly mangled up. Pipes are rusty and full of holes, air pump is noisy in operation, pipes have rotted off the catalytic converters, 1 has been plugged but the other hasn't!
These are the remains after a bit of cutting and pulling!

This is the pipe that connects to the back of the heads to exhaust passages

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This was the pipe as it was in place

Now I just can't leave the holes in the back of the heads, so it's out with the hacksaw and a bit of gas welding
Heres one already welded and one about to be

My Wife caught me in action!

That leaves the bracket for the diverter valve to be shifted and the bracket that use to hold one of the pipes. All located on the passenger side exhaust manifold studs.

All not been moved for 19 years and seriously rusted.
Theres only 1 wrench that will move them, and here it is (a hot wrench!)-nuts already removed

Sorry its not in action, but i would probably set the car on fire while taking the photo!
Heres the new space minus brackets

Battery tray reinforcement next.
Andy,

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
v8mad0 said:
andyfanshawe said:
This is the pipe that connects to the back of the heads to exhaust passages

Another good day, I had to have that pipe on my wagon welded twice as it kept rotting and made a noise inside the car when the engine was running
Glad that parts gone then!
Today is battery tray day. Simple procedure-make a cardboard template, transfer to steel (thickish ally plate in this case), cut out, bend, drill holes and paint. Install and heavy duty rustproofing (Dinitrl 3125) + battery mat.

Then cut out with my favourite tool-air saw

Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Nice job. It must be great to ahve the tools to do the job right.
Hi rtg. It certainly makes life a lot easier. Nobody can see the 2 big compressors that run side by side under my bench and take up loads of space though! And run all these tools! Bank manager and my good lady Wife weren't too impressed though!
You're welcome to borrow any whenever you want:hy:

Anyway, next exciting installment!
Parcel arrived today from rockauto. Only ordered last thursday! But.......I only ordered a PCV grommet. Thats a big box for a grommet

Lets open up and see whats inside

Can't believe it! One grommet box and a big bag of air!

Now need to finish off so I can get the plenum back. But heres a clip that's not been put back (against the firewall)

This is supposedly secured under the wiper motor, but obviously isn't! And I can tell why, because it was a pain attaching it back!
Here is a view of the vacuum block connector at the firewall. I have blocked off the one that came from the AIR pump and plugged it (yellow plug).

The degreaser I used has softened some of the connectors at this block so I have secured 2 of them with tie wraps just in case.
Then spark plugs installed

It says "Nascar performance" on the box! A nascar country squire! I bet Tom Cruise would drive it!i
Dinitrol 3125 ordered and should arrive tomorrow. Battery reinforcement panel rust proofed and installed then.

HT lead clean up and new dizzy cap and rotor arm install next. Then plenum on, other little jobs (not forgetting new rad and thermostat) and we will go for a fire up!
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
This is what I don't like.
Wires that have been cut free of their clips and not put back. Just under the air filter box is the clip, but the wires have been stuffed behind the PS pump and are too close to the exhaust manifold.

4 tie wraps and they are back.
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Simple jobs today.
Clean all the ht leads and make sure all ends are tight and grip the plugs properly.
Then replace the distributor cap and rotor arm.

Plenum replaced and all bolts tightened to spec.
May be able to fire this beast up tomorrow evening!
But...........................I've been thinking again...........
I know this is a major job and doesn't get much more major, but what about......, no, I daren't think about it,,,,,,,,,,,,oh go on then.........what about removing the whole frame from under the car and getting it media blasted, and rebuilding it and putting it all back!!!? :whistle: Now that is something i would seriously enjoy. make for some interesting photos I can tell ya!
Hmmm. wonder if i can borrow a big workshop for a few weeks? After all overhaulin' did it in 7 days!
Andy.

·
Administrator
8,331 Posts
what about removing the whole frame from under the car and getting it media blasted, and rebuilding it and putting it all back!!!?
If you decide to do that, please post some photos, that would definitely be a sight to see :hy::hy:

21 - 40 of 605 Posts