Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 605 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for all the pics of the job. I have the same motor and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get my upper intake off the other day. Seeing your photos now I know that there was a couple of bolts I didn't take out. Doing a good job, keep it up. I bet it's going to look and run really nice when you're done.

·
custom airride cv project
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Interesting evening tonight.
Cleaned out throttle body and the water passages

Made a gasket for it and installed all throttle body and air filter trunking/
Heres the old and new air filters-bet you can't tell the new one :dontknow:

Fuel filter next, and it doesn't look quite like the old one. The inlet and outlets on the new one have a shoulder where the fuel pipe connections lock onto-the old one didn't. So how did they hold on?

Thats it-the favourite tie wraps.
Here it is removed

Notice just straight pipes-bit dodgy.
Battery on it's new reinforcing base, and the battery clamp doesn't fit properly! Didn't notice that when I took it off. Looks like battery is not wide enough.

Turned the key, and it fired straight up! Well, coughed a bit but then ran smooth. Rad flush chucked in the cooling system and ran for 20 mins to circulate it. Drop it all out tomorrow, another hosepipe flush and the new radiator and thermostat and rad cap goes on. Antifreeze following.
Noticed an exhaust blow on the CAT on the drivers side where the old thermactor pipe used to connect to. Rotten remains. I will weld that up tomorrow.
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
One of the interesting things about buying a used car is you dont quite know what you'll find in it!
Under the drivers seat was this tape (tape? whats that then? :dontknow: ). the very best of Foster and Allen.

I have emailed the last owner to ask if he wants it back, and he did. So it went off in the post today. Now how many owners of cars take the trouble to do that?
Anyway, back to the car. The next task is to get the radiator in.
Coolant dropped out again that I put in last night and the hosepipe brought back into play for one last flush through.
Then its out with the new rad and transfer all clips and connectors/adaptors
New and old together

Moving trans cooler connection adaptors over

This is the lower radiator panel that is showing signs of light rust. So, a clean up first

followed by a coat of dinitrol 3125 with this

to get this

Then its in with the radiator

New thermostat fitted and new rad cap.
then the system filled with 50/50 ethyl glycol antifreeze/inhibitor

Heres the coolant colour after an engine run up until the thermostat opens and it all starts to circulate. The heater got warm so it must be circulating well round there. No wet carpets yet either. :yay:

Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well, this weekend and a few days leading up to it have been mind blowing to say the least!
To put you all in the picture, the last owner of the car, but one, had found out all the previous owners and wrote a letter to every one. Some had responded and some hadn't. I found out that the car has had 10 owners in 19 years. most of the time being spent in the south of our country and in Wales. But 1 past owner was located in Clay Cross which is only a few miles from me now. They sold it in 1999, A good 10 years ago. According to a letter, this particular gentleman sold the car due to possible redundancy (which turned out to be true) but was sorry to see it go.
Anyway, I took the car for a longish test drive on saaturday morning . On the way back I could smell a slight odour of hot coolant. Probably due to a heater matrix (heater core) after 19 years and especially after the colour of the coolant that came out. So, I ordered one (£56). If it turns out that it isn't that after all, I' m going to change it anyway.
I pulled down the under dash panel on the passenger side and this fell down

It was an envelope that had been there a long time. Probably gone through the back of the glovebox.
Imagine my surprise when the name and address on it matched the owner in Clay Cross from 10 years ago! Not any of the others that were miles and miles away, but the most local one!
But there was someting else up there. A brown leather pouch that was wedged tight. I pulled it down and this was it

Inside was these

Loads of american cents and a dime! Now the car left the states in about 1997, so this has been there for over 12 years!
Wonder who it belonged to?
My Wife wanted to open the envelope but I said no, let me see if I can return it to its rightful owner. She asked if I was going to have a drive out to see if I could find them. i said of course i was, and I would also take the car with me to reintroduce it 10 years after they had sold it!
30 mins later and I arrive at the house that was on the envelope. A knock on the door and a lady answered who confirmed they used to own it! So they were still in the same house that they were in when they owned the car!
I took them both out to see the car they hadn't seen for those 10 long years. I had an amzing chat to them about the car and tried to fill them in about its whereabouts since they owned it.
I gave the envelope to the Lady who's name was on it and she was very surprised. She said she thought it was a birthday card, but definitely from her Mum who had unfortunately died a few years earlier. I was concerned that it would be upsetting for her, but she said it had made her day. To receive 1 more thing from her Mum.
The gentleman told me he had to have the rearmost seat belts changed because they had seized up due to lack of use! Also the interior light lenses were changed because they had cracked. Said they were very expensive,
He noticed the slight dent in the bonnet (hood) and told me it had been caused by a stone thrown up by a passing car in a caravan site that had bounced across it. A simple bit of info but invaluable in the sense that it is filling in a small piece of the big history jigsaw of the car.
I left them feeling extremely pleased thay I had reunited them with a piece of their past (and a happy one at that), and I had delivered an envelope that had waited probably 11 years to be delivered. I have pointed them in the directon of this forum so that they may keep up to date with the cars restoration, and hopefully chip in some comments every so often. just as I quoted I wanted the past owners to do in the very first paragraph of this thread..... Magic!
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay, weld up CAT time. Up in the air we go to weld up the hole in the side of the CAT where the AIR/thermactor pipe used to be.

Here you can see where the pipe used to be. The clamp is still there and the remains of the pipe also.

Here it is again with the old rotten pipe removed and a small plate welded on the end.

Successful, but hang on, something doesn't look right.
The frame at the side of the cat has been welded and painted

The other side hasn't been welded but is corroding in the corner.
The box section is full of rust debris and plates have been welded over the top. Not at all good.
So. out with the hammer and around the frame we go. Luckily no where else is rotted. Probably due to the fact that water/salt gets thrown up there and sits inside the frame.
This will have to be done properly. Car put up in the air and secured in one place. Exhausts removed, fuel pipes removed and ALL the corroded sections removed and properly welded up back to factory specs. If the frame has to come off the car to do it-so be it. Shouldn't take too long once I get started.
In the meantime, back under the dash we go. Preparing to replace the heater core.
Bit of corrosion here on the flap control vacuum solenoid arm. Must be some type of water/coolant down there to cause this.

It is now clean and greased and free to move. The solenoid couldn't move it at all, but it can now!
It looks as if the all the dash is coming out to change the core. I don't have to, but I can check all types of things while I am there.
Andy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^^^^ Thats not suprising that the crush boxes are rusting out. Usually the right side will rot out first due to the moister from the a/c leaking down on it. Usually they never get fixed like thats so I guess thats a plus. Great car though!:hy:

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Right, next exciting installment:
Time to start removing rust off the frame and rustproofing before its too late :whistle:
Heres a starter photo of the frame in the back left corner

Scaly rust but nothing major. But hang on, whats that hanging off the rear bumper? Remnants of rusty brackets? Ah, now this is something that americans won't understand...the remains of a rear fog light. This light is a bright red light that is a legal requirement and is there to make the car highly visible in poor conditions

Those have been there for a long time. It'll be good fun trying to shift them.
More photos later of the cleaned up first bit of the frame.
Moved onto the front lights that are hit and miss. Sometimes bulbs are out, sometimes they are not. When a vehicle comes into the UK, the lights have to been changed to our standards. Which usually means hacked up wiring and bodge jobs.

The middle bulb should be on, but isn't due to those horrible blue scothlock connectors.
So, its all wiring out and start again. The bottom yellow corner light unit is not used for some reason, so an amber LED light has been fitted to the fender for pedestrians to see the yellow flashing light from the side. I am going to remove them and wire in LED bulbs in the afore mentioned lower corner light unit.
Oh, also have a look at the trunk floor in the photo above-where the rubber grommets are. Look rusty? You'd be quite right. Put my hammer through them. More welding then. Lovely.
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Okay, next simple job. Sort these lights out that keep going on and off!
This is the amber LED unit that has been put on the side of the fender and a hole drilled through for the wiring.

I'm going to remove the light, weld the hole up and get the lower corner of the front light unit working.

This is the rear view

There isn't a bulb holder for this one, so I need one. No american scrapyards round here, so I made up an aluminium disc and bonded it to the unit, and used a renault megane light unit.

leave it overnight to set and its repairing the wiring time.
After that, on the job list is
1) Front drivers seat electric mechanism isn't working properly.
2) Tailgate central locking has stopped working again!
3) Find reason why airbag light is flashing.
....and many more.....!
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
More lights today. The plan is to wire each group of lights as a unit and terminate the wiring in a multiplug. So when the light unit needs to come out just unplug and remove. No leaving any bulbs and bulb holders dangling on the front bumper.
Lets sort out the corner white light first. The bulb holder is heat damaged and so is the hole it goes into. So, put the holder in a tight fitting grommet and grind the hole out so the damage disappears and the grommet fits! Easy!

Then make up a harness to fit them all

Other side

Now tell me if this is bad workmanship or not! Always good to see someone take pride in their work! Sort this lot out next.

Andy.

·
Administrator
8,331 Posts
I don't know why andrew61987 deleted his question, I'll ask it.

Andy, if you would, tell us a little about your Camaro in the background. There are a few Bow-Tie fans on here that's interested :hy::hy:

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I don't know why andrew61987 deleted his question, I'll ask it.

Andy, if you would, tell us a little about your Camaro in the background. There are a few Bow-Tie fans on here that's interested :hy::hy:
Hi jwko.
Thanks for asking. My camaro,...well, thats a long story........

This is my first baby! Came before my 2 sons. Bought in 1994 and been ever so slightly modified since then:shh:. Custom designed and built air suspension (by me) and ..well. have a pop over to the website lowcamaro and have a look. Tell me what you think:hy:

Thanks for your interest though.
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Managed to install the front lights on their new harnesses and multiplug quick release connectors. All well corrosion proofed.
So lets move the side LED lights off the fenders. Heat gun to the rescue.

Looks a lot better without them

While i was under the car sorting the wiring, I noticed a puddle of antifreeze under the xmember. Is this where the coolant has been leaking from? Where is it actually coming from then? Core/freeze plug? That brown staining on the passenger side of the block is directly above there. So lets have a look at that area again.
This is the view from the passenger side of the car looking at cylinders 2 and 3. looks a bit damp.

A closer look then

Coolant seems to be coming out from round that circle in the head. What used to be there then? Oh oh. We all know what that was dont we...............? Someone has sheared the head off one of the head bolts :angry::angry::angry::BW::BW::BW:

Andy

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Okay, nothing else for it but to get the head off, remove the stud and reassemble. Sounds simple eh?
Heres a few shots of the engine in its various states

This is my special tool (clothes prop tube with a hacksaw cut!) for disconnecting the fuel line connectors.

Careful levering to get the inlet off

First view with the inlet removed-mucky

Considering this engine has done nearly 200K miles, the backs of those inlet valves are spotless

This is a view behind the passenger side head with a big earth lead attached

And another on the back of the inlet on the drivers side

Heres a view of the famous PCV valve in the back of the inlet

Final shot for today. Exhaust manifold bolts came loose very easily (surprising since 2 of them have been sprayed with coolant for who knows how long).

Manifold to downpipe bolts tomorrow (need burning off) and we'll see if the head will come off that sheared bolt. Thats assuming all the others come off! :whistle:
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Managed to get deeper down to the broken bolt today.
The exhaust manifold to downpipe nuts on the studs had to be warmed up with an acetylene torch to persuade them loose, but other than that all came off easily.
This is the first view of the starter when the headers were removed. This leak has been happening for some time.

Head came off easily even with the broken stud. View of the starter was even more disturbing and brown now!

Heres the offending bolt

Need to get a stud remover and have a try at shifting it.

The amount of solidified carbon/oil deposits in the valley was amazing. Heres a few bits.

Perhaps this engine needs a new lease of life? I'm thinking about pulling the motor completely and rebuilding it. Need to have a look at how much money I can chuck at it! I still need a full paint job, air suspension and 20" wheels!! My Wife may need to be REALLY understanding :whistle:
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Okay, its stud removal time. Heres the tools to do it - hopefully.

Here we go:

Did it move? Yes it did. It was not tight at all. A pair of pliers would have moved it! So did it shear when it was being tightened then?
Heres the offending bolt remains. Now, where to get another one in the UK?

Drivers side head off next, but the middle nut holding the air filter cradle to the exhaust headers had rusted away to almost nothing, so cut through the centre section with my air saw and then weld it back together when it is due to go back

Head off at last.

Now then, its rethink time. Theres not much left in the engine bay now so this may be a very good time to pull the motor and clean and inspect it properly. Then that may be a good time to drop the frame off and media blast. Then that may be a good time to repair and repaint any body damage that I cant get to if the frame was there. That my be a good time to get alll bushes replaced and all pipes/lines and design, build and fit the air suspension. The that me be a good time to...........................oh dear, its all happening again. How many times have we all started a simple rebuild and gone mad?!!!!!!!
Engine crane next.
Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Today was engine out day.
Heres the last bolt coming out, courtesy of my air wrench

I nipped out in my humble little Nissan Almera (rusty but faithful) and borrowed an engine crane

Now I was on my own, so i could either wait for my Wife and 2 sons to come back from their shopping trip and help, or just get on with it. Sod it, just do it!

Into the garage it goes

Heres a quick glimpse of my camaro that had to be partly put out of the garage to create some space!

And another of it watching closely!

Heres a sad looking engine bay

Next is onto the engine stand and stripdown begins.
Andy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do see that your engine does have the roller cam in it. If you take it apart keep all the valve train in exact order. You do not want to have to replace that cam and lifters they are expensive since the are cast steel not cast iron. By order keep the lifters and push rods togather and keep the lifters on the same cam lobe. You can do what you want but if the wear in the cylinders is less than .010 then I would just deglaze the clyinder walls clean the carbon from behind the ring grooves and and put in a set high tension rings and be done with it if the crank is still in spec.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I do see that your engine does have the roller cam in it. If you take it apart keep all the valve train in exact order. You do not want to have to replace that cam and lifters they are expensive since the are cast steel not cast iron. By order keep the lifters and push rods togather and keep the lifters on the same cam lobe. You can do what you want but if the wear in the cylinders is less than .010 then I would just deglaze the clyinder walls clean the carbon from behind the ring grooves and and put in a set high tension rings and be done with it if the crank is still in spec.
Thanks wtroger. I'll do exactly what you say!

Started on engine resto today.
Starter motor first. This is an ugly mess.

Removed top cover and it had just started to rust through with all the coolant spraying on it. Now thats what you call preventative maintenance. If any water had gone through there, well,......end of starter.

Internals look very clean.

Media blasted it and then put a layer of fibreglass matting on it. Then etch primed it and white primed. Top coats tomorrow.

Media blasted the starter and etch primed and white primed.

Top coats tomorrow. Bright red starter and silver cover. The white primer will make the colours pop! i like bright engine bays!
Andy.

41 - 60 of 605 Posts