Ford Forums banner

581 - 600 of 606 Posts

·
1,836 Posts
Anything new Andy? It's been months since your last update.

·
1,836 Posts
Andy??? Wow, something must have happened where he hasn't been back with any updates...

·
custom airride cv project
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Hi all.
Sorry for the serious interruption to this thread!
Kids, elderly (95 year old) Mum who is causing big problems, gone part time teaching, opened my own restoration business, bought and fitted out a workshop, 2 full time restorations on for customers (84 trans am and 85 country squire!), bought my 1991 camaro back after 9 years away, megasquirting that, and,.........well my poor custom squire gets left behind!
Well I have started this again. Haven't fired my brand new rebuilt engine up for over a year, so its time for a wire up again. Not easy when the body is separate from the chassis, suspended up in the roof of the garage still.
Heres the fuel pump wiring connected

Heres a few photos of the bare metal underside after over a year exposed to the UK air

Going to get this engine fired up tomorrow, then get some of the underside prepped for its green epoxy paint which I have already waiting!
Really sorry for the interlude, but sometimes life gets in the way!! Hope I can remember how it all goes back together....
And, I still really want to make it into a 2 door!!
Andy.

·
1,836 Posts
Welcome back Andy!

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Okay, time to get this build back on track. Thank you for the welcome back.

Wagon put back onto its side and the underside needs prepping for paint.

Its covered in oil and grease and generally filthy. So out with the solvents and a few hours scrubbing!

Heres the before and after photos

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's a stick in the spokes. When I replaced the inner rockers, there were a few rusty thin areas on the outer rockers that were a concern. Here's a spot

So I'm going to replace them both and then paint the entire underside green at the same time.

Andy.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
Hi all.
Really got to apologise to everyone. My poor wagon has been sat waiting in my garage for ....... well, months and months. No excuses really, except that life gets in the way. But, no more. This has got to be be completed.
No way is this going to be an abandoned project.
Im closing my workshop doors for a while so I can get this back on track.
So tomorrow is restart time.
Plans are to fabricate new outer rocker panels (inside ones were fabricated ages ago and welded in.
Then paint the entire underside and put it back on its chassis.
Weld up the hole in the firewall where the scaffold pipe went through for the tilter, move the wagon down to my workshop on the lift and move my camaro into my home workshop.
No excuses then.

Really sorry I have let everybody down, but time for change.

Not even sure if the old crowd is still on here now!

Anyway, loads of photos to come......

Andy.

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
I just tinker with my truck, don't have a garage, so I do have a few limitations. Been a real busy summer for me, so I haven't done much of anything.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
Its good to be bacK!

Thanks to all the "old timers" who are going to revisit this thread!! I think its time to get this wagon rolling.........

My business is going well, but its time to step back a bit and have more time for me and my stuff!! :)

Rocker panels time and then the bodywork is complete enough to put the body back on the chassis. Then assemble and paint and we should be good to roll next summer.

This is the only rusty part of the car that has not been sorted out.
Panel marked out for cutting

And out it comes

here's a view from outside the garage

Here's the inside of the rocker i've just cut out. Can just about see some rust that has eaten away to make it very thin in places.

Tomorrow i will start to fabricate a new panel from 1.5 mm thick steel sheet (exact thickness that the original was). Its slightly curved so I will have to make a former to bend it around.

Oh, did i say, it was good to be back?!! laugh

Andy.

581 - 600 of 606 Posts
About this Discussion
605 Replies
36 Participants
tbird100636
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing