Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made good progress on my wiring harness last night. I figured out what every single wire in the 5 extraneous plugs are for on the SHO's harness. There were to plugs that lead to another harness by the radiator on the SHO. The one plug had 2 large wires that were power supplies. They terminated at the - battery terminal and the ignition side of the starter solenoid. The other plug had 5 wires which controlled stuff like the foglights, a/c cycling switch and the low coolant sensor in the resevoir. The wires for the low coolant sensor and foglights I won't be using since my car doesn't have those features. So those 2 plugs will be a cake walk to splice into the Topaz harness.

Then there were 3 plugs that lead into another harness that goes back through the firewall and into the dash. The first one had 3 wires for controlling the foglights, check engine light and low oil level light. So the only one I'll use there is the check engine light wire.

The second plug has 8 wires for: clutch pedal position switch, ignition power to the coil pack, 2 wires for the vehicle speed sensor+ and -(for cruise control, I assume), tach, low coolant sensor, a wire that has something to do with the front lights, and a ground wire. So splicing these in will be pretty simple too. The hardest part will be hooking up the cruise control wires properly.

The third plug has 7 wires for: cruise control, back up lamps, oil pressure light, fuel pump monitor(not sure what this is but it appears to be a ground wire), another wire for the front lights, a/c cycling switch, and the temp gauge.

So all in all it's pretty simple. Now my next task will be to do the same thing on my Topaz. There are 2 large plugs which lead back into the dash area. I'm pretty sure these plugs will contain all the matching wires for the 3 plugs on the SHO harness. I'll have to go through these 2 plugs on the Topaz wire by wire to see what they do. This may be a little more difficult as my service manuals don't have very good diagrams for the dash wiring harness. All they show is the wiring for the instrument cluster and not the lights, climate control or steering wheel harness.

That's where a battery, a wire with some aligator clips and a test light come in handy. I'll just pass current through each wire in the engine bay and see what wire under the dash lights up the test light. Hopefully I'll get to that next week and have it done before my quaife TBD and clutch arrive. That way I can install those parts and bolt the drivetrain into place and start splicing wires. I can't wait!

·
HO V6 XR5i
118 Posts
Fuel System

Sweet! You're making good progress! I'm still in the slow stages. Are you going to use the HSC fuel pump and the factory fuel lines?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock fuel lines look like they'll plug right in. I had to move them inboard a bit to make room for the power steering pulley though. I'm still investigating the fuel pump thing. I believe the stock SHO fuel pump was prett small, something like 60 lph(I posted a question about that over at SHOforum today) Do you know what the HSC Topaz pump flows? I'm sure it cant be much less than this. I'll probably leave the stock pump in there and just drive the car with a pressure gauge on the schrader valve for a few WOT runs and see if the pressure stays up. If I do need to upgrade the pump, it shouldn't be too hard to swap in an aftermarket 190 lph unit.

·
HO V6 XR5i
118 Posts
Fuel Pump Flow

I used to know what the Vulcan Tempo fuel pumps would flow. I keep thinking 30 something gallons per hour for Vulcan Tempo fuel pumps, but I can't say for sure. I know the HSC fuel pump had higher PSI but less volume than the V6 fuel pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts