Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Australian XR8 Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have noticed late model Euro cars (Mercs,Audi's) and also 2001 Subaru's running bright white headlamps. These are 'Pulse Xenon' - running on 50 volts via a transformer. Why? Because the light they put out is nearest to daylight you can get.
Now the question - does anyone know if there is a Pulse Xenon equivalent for the AU XR lamps? Maybe that would or could be a Ford coup for an Aust built car - one up on Holden again? Of course the whole reflector/lense semi sealed beam must be replaced because of the heat these things produce.

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
I looked into the pulse Xenon lights some time ago. You only find them on the top end European cars as they are bloody expensive... It would increase the cost of a Vehicle by around $1,500.00. But gee they look good....

Nipper...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I have not found any kit suitable for the XR range that meets ADRs. Hella have said they are working on kits to retrofit HID, however from what I see I doubt you'd see anything for less than $2k.

·
Australian XR8 Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh well.....
They are great lights though. You can buy retro kits for cars like older 5 series BMW's and they have round lights.
Here in NZ they do not meet the description 'continuous light' as they are actually 'pulsing'. Our authority LTSA is so dumb they are forced to turn a blind eye to such matters as they are understaffed and don't know the diff between continuous and pulse. In theory a garage who issues a WOF cert for such a lamp could be fined or lose their license to inspect , but you can use them. Lots of new cars have them - Subaru, Nissan Pathfinders and Skyline GT-T's (the cheap model) and of course the Euro clan. (the VW Golf offers Xenon if you delete option fog lamps (fogs are built into headlights).
I have seen very cute Hella rectangular xenon spots for about $500 on the Inet. Last night saw them for sale retro fit for Corvette C6. (search Yahoo on 'pulse xenon'). Would look good tucked into the inlet either side of the number plate. We also have the 4WD Hella 'Predator' xenon lights, but they are huge.
I've got a set of lil fog lamps made by Hella called Micro Series - they're 40mm diameter, but 120 mm long - am going to fit them in bumper cavity when I get around to it (fog in mountains here, and XR's not standard with fogs)
....will just have to keep hunting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts