Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to downsize from 2 older vehicles to one new car. We are strongly considering both the Ecosport and the Escape. We test drove both at a local dealer yesterday and unfortunately found both good and bad things about each vehicle. So nothing to totally rule one out.

PICKUP & PERFORMANCE
I thought both were about the same, (each model we drove had the 2.0L engine). But my wife thought the Escape had more pickup and power. Could one reason for that be tire size? The Ecosport SE we drove had 16" wheels whilst the Escape Titanium we drove had 19" wheels. Would this affect speed/performance, much as a bicycle with larger wheels you go faster with the same amount of effort.

CUSTOMIZATION
We liked in the Escape Titanium the Memory Seat, the passenger power seat, the Sunroof (Panaromic Sun Roof). We do not like leather. Does anyone know if we order a vehicle at a Ford Dealer, can it be customized more than what a regular person can do in the "BUILD" on the Ford website? For example, could we order an Escape Titanium with cloth seats? Or could we order an SE, but add the Sunroof and Memory Seat and Power Passenger Seat? I get conflicting answers from Ford chat, salesperson, etc. Also, could a dealer order this in the Candy Blue (which is available on the Ecosport but not the Escape)?

BLIS
I could not tell if you order an Escape Titanium and do not add the Ford Safe & Smart Titanium Plus Pacakge, does it still have BLIS. If not, can this be added by itself?

PANAROMIC SUNROOF
Can this be added alone, without the Ford Safe & Smart Titanium Plus Package? The Sunroof and BLIS are the only aspects of the Ford Safe & Smart Titanium Plus Package we are really interested in having.

AUTO START-STOP
I know the basic idea of what this is. Do most people like it, use it or is it not very popular? My Prius did this for the gas engine, but I always had the Hybrid Battery ready to power the car if I stepped on the pedal.

SIDE MIRRORS
What is "puddle lamp"?

AMBIENT LIGHTING
What exactly is this? Can this be added to a Trim Package other than Titanium, such as the SE?

I think I covered most of our questions for now.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I had my 17 gt at the dealer recently for warrenty work and was given a 19 Ecosport Titanium. Im probably not going to answer all your questions but I will tell you how I felt about the Ecosport.

The 2.0 in it had no pickup and the gas mileage wasnt all that great. It only got about 280 miles per tank (took about 30 bucks to top off) if I kept off the gas. As a comparison my 17 gt gets the same range and takes a dollar or two more to fill up. So fuel economy in my opinion wasnt that great. The auto stop feature is ok, didnt seem to affect mileage whether I had it disabled or not.

As far as interior room, Im average height and had to have the seat almost all the way back which made the rear driver seat pretty much useless. The rear seats are small enough already. I thought it had a lot of storeage space up front for a small suv except the center console was tiny and the trunk was semi useless as far as suv’s go.

The sound system and 8” touchscreen radio were awesome. By far that was the best feature of the car.

Ambient lighting is where the footwells, cup holders and door handles are lit when the headlights are on. I thought it was a pretty neat feature, especially the door handles because they normally light up blue but would light up red the the door wasnt closed all the way.

The other one I can answer is about the puddle lamps. They are lights on the bottom of the exterior mirrors that point downward and light up the ground when the door is open. Kind of a novelty and not really useful in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
Normally if you ask for all those different features / changes and specs from any manufacturer it will have to be a special order from the factory and will take a while for delivery . AUTO START-STOP - I detest this feature and have it turned off , likewise all family members on their cars My son has the puddle lamps on his car , I and he quite like them .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RS, we expected that to get what we want would be a special order. We have the money to be a cash buyer. We know we could probably save a lot by buying something in Inventory. But we feel if we are spending that much, might as well get what we really want, even if it costs more and we have to wait. Just wanted to find out if these kind of departures from the "Build It" on the website could be done.

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
I can understand you want to have your car exactly to your own specs , I am the same when the time comes for replacing cars . Unfortunately I have never achieved this and had to compromise in various aspects of the vehicles I bought . One of the problems that arises if trading in a car with a delay in availability is valuing the car as it can vary enormously dependant on delivery date of new vehicle . Plus salesmen are not usually keen on these types of deals and try to persuade you otherwise .The other problem with massed produced cars is most manufacturers do not vary from the available option packs for each model .It's a few years now since I ran a dealership and do not know the ins and outs of special orders nowadays and I think you would possibly need to speak to the head honcho at the dealership rather than a salesman.

What is Ford Ambient Lighting?

Ambient lighting lets you add a subtle and sophisticated colour tone to the vehicle interior at night. Your interior lighting can be set up to suit your style, taste and mood. On the Ford Edge, modern, ice blue interior lighting illuminates all the interior controls. While ambient lighting lets you light different areas of the car, such as foot-wells and console cup holders lit by any one of seven different colours. You've even got the ability to mix these to create and save five of your own via the MyColour feature.

Link might help you decide ,

https://www.kriegerford.com/ff-difference-between-the-2019-ford-ecosport-vs-2019-ford-escape.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we do not plan to trade a vehicle. We own 2 cars right now, a 2006 Sonata and a 2009 Prius. We plan to put one up for sale upon our return home this weekend. Once we get a new vehicle, we plan to sell the other vehicle. We have looked up trade-in & private party values on the cars. Will offer them at the higher end and be glad to come down to the median trade-in value to move them. We figure a dealer trade would probably give us the low end of the trade-in value, if that. Like you, we have always settled and either took the stock new car (our Prius) or bought a slightly used car that met most of our wants, (the 2006 Sonata we bought in May 2007). This time we have money to work with, from the sale of our home and buying a new home for under half of what we sold our last home for. So we're leaning toward getting as close as we can to everything we want.

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
Selling cars privately can be a pain in the butt with time wasters and people wanting a " new "car instead of the used car you have on sale . There are a lot of companies that buy used cars nowadays , some very fair on valuations and saves any hassle . You are in a strong place to haggle for a good deal by taking the steps you are taking , hope you get a satisfactory outcome .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we pulled the trigger and bought a new 2019 Ford Escape Titanium last Friday.

I have a question about the Auto Stop/Start. We have been driving with it engaged. Sometimes when sitting at a light and I have not eased off on the brake pedal at all, then engine will start and the green light go out. Other times the engine stays off until I move. What is causing the different behavior.

On the NAV, any secret way to disab;e the driving interlock. Mostly it is my wife & I in the car, so whoever is not driving can operate this. And it is such a stupid interlock. I mean I put a music flash drive in and I can completely browse folders and song titles while driving and there are a ton of other things I can do with the screen while driving (that can take away my attention to the road, just as much as typing an address). Yet only the destination setting is blocked. In truth, none should be blocked. Personal responsibility, a driver should be smart enough to not do something unsafe. It should not be the car manufacturers or the government to micro manage this sort of thing.

Also, any way to disable the seat belt dinging or the dinging if you want to sit in the car (stopped) with a door open.

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
If you cant get answers to your problems in the owners handbook , contact your dealership who should be able to address matters for you .Hope you enjoy your vehicle and have many miles of trouble free motoring .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I thought there might be hidden menu options to control some of these things. Like when I had my Prius I was able to change which doors the door sensor worked, disable backup beep and seat belt beep, etc.

I have 2 other questions.

1. Under the storage area cover, (the foam holder for the spare and it has a few small compartments), at the front corner of that foam holder, on the driver's side is some kind of electronic device, silver with a wire harness connected). What is that? Would it hurt anything if I stored something on top of that. I have a plastic case First Aid kit that fits in there just nice. I only put it there a couple days ago, so I could move it, if need be.

2. While cleaning the inside of the windshield I knocked off the black plastic cover by the rear view mirror, this is the one at the very top of the window, closest to the ceiling. I also noticed under that it had 2 wires with some kind of sensor attached (glued I guess) to the windshield. One of these was loose, no longer glued to the windshield. The loose one is closer to the driver or left if you are sitting in the car looking at the rear view mirror. What is that sensor for?

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
The sensor could be the Auto-dim on the mirror , or Auto-dip for Hi-Beams, rain sensor . Really depends on equipment fitted to your vehicle what it covers .Easiest to drop into a dealership and they will answer your questions .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far I have not noticed any change. I bought the full warranty and am also supposed to get the 1st 3 Oil Changes free. So I figure when I take it in for the 1st oil change (or if some other issue comes up before hand), I will ask them to look at it and reattach it to the windshield. I was just curious what it exactly is supposed to be a sensor for.

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
So far I have not noticed any change. I bought the full warranty and am also supposed to get the 1st 3 Oil Changes free. So I figure when I take it in for the 1st oil change (or if some other issue comes up before hand), I will ask them to look at it and reattach it to the windshield. I was just curious what it exactly is supposed to be a sensor for.
Good idea , should be covered by warranty o.k even though you knocked the cover off , dont normally quibble over such small detail

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll just say cover came off while cleaning windshield & I noticed the sensor loose. I should be fine. Same dealer I bought the Escape at, and I paid cash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
3 Participants
QuiGonJohn
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing