Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear quarter windows doesn't want to work. I managed to take off all the trim to expose the frame, can I unbolt it and take the whole thing out, or what? :p

M

·
0 Posts
yep, the whole thing comes out of there. Just remember how you got it out. The secret is to roll the assemble up or down and at one point it will come out easier than others.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
You won't get much of an answer unless you tell us what kind of car you are working on. I'd try to free up the mechanism before I'd remove the window no matter what kind of car it is.

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
opps, its a 68 coupew/standard interior. it makes a clunk noise everytime i try to put it up or down.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
Likely the two plastic rollers have either come off their shafts or have broken. They can be replaced w/o removing the window. The rollers are inexpensive at any of the vendors.

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, when I was looking at it my dad,we also thought that it was the little plastic things. By the way where exactly do you think I can get those little plastic things? Thanks again for your help.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
In that the rollers are not unique to Mustangs and were used on many diferent models, your local Ford dealer might have them otherwise any of the vendors, like Virginia Classic Mustang, have them.

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am gonna check ford first, then I check virginia classics.

M

·
0 Posts
I don't know if they are still at the ford dealers, but they are very easy to get. mustangs plus, mustangs unlimited, dallas mustang, National parts depot, california mustang, etc will all have them. With the chunk you are talking about I would be willing to gamble thats what it is. Pull the panel off and take a look. you will have to remove the back seat and then like 4 screws. crank comes off with an allen wrench.

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did take off those panels and found everytime I would crank the window up or down the plastic thing would pop out of the track. While I was there I also applied Lithium grease. The tracks look ed like they have never been greased.

M

·
0 Posts
Thats the secret then! They were probably last greased in the 60s and the technology of everlasting lubrication is still as elusive as the everlasting gobstopper!

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replced the rollers and greased the windows and works as good as new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts