Ford Forums banner

Question about TE50 Gearbox

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Aussie Pete 
#1 ·
Hi all

I’m new contributor to the forum, but I have been reading them for a while, a great place to get my Ford fix. I drive a TE50 AU1-manual, and like a lot of ford drivers, I desire extra power to match the superb handling of this great car. I have spoken to Rob Herrod of Herrod Motorsports, who informs me they are already stroking TE’s to achieve about 260kw at the flywheel. The cost?, about $7000. There is one question that bothers me and I haven't found the answer yet. When the ‘T’ series was first released, it was stated that the 220kw TS50 was not available in manual form because the gearbox was not up to it. Then lo and behold, we get a 220kw manual TE50 and a statement saying that they re- did the sums and the gearbox will handle the extra power. Now, with 260kw will the same gearbox be used?, will it only be available as an auto?, If I ever find the money and get mine stroked, I wonder what effect it will have on my gearbox. I haven’t seen any discussion on this point, does anybody know?, thanks

#2 ·
You'd think if they're gunna stroke the motor, an upgraded box would come with the package. Must admit, I'm not too sure myself??..

#3 ·
Mate Mate Mate!!!

Am I Your Man!!!

As my handle states - I'm the mad XR8 Crazed Clutch Killer

Mind you my baby is pumpen 300 plus at the fly wheel... yes i have gone through a gear box and was told by ford the week link is 2/3 gearing

However, 260 is far less than 300.

You have spoken to Rob, Good.. ask about the Gearbox upgrades!!

#4 ·
Hey Mike, welcome to the boards. I'm not the best person to reply to your tech question but having a stab in the dark, I wouldn't expect the current 5speed to be able to handle 260kw. The fact that ford were worried that it may not be suited to 220kw suggests that stretching it to 260kw would be taking it over the edge.

I'm sure you'll get some more technical replies though.

So, that your here, how 'bout getting some pics of your beast on the forum??;) :cool:

#5 ·
Wow!!, I didn't expect such fast replies, I will be speaking to Mr Herrod again and my first question will be re the 5spd box, I'll post his answer. I've got a few picks of my car, I'll get them scanned and posted. Even though I'm very keen to increase the car's kws, the sensible side of my brain is saying wait until Sept and see what FTE bring out, but that's like watching the kettle boil!!, can't come soon enough I say.

#6 ·
Most people live on the forum mate:D so replies won't be a problem ;)

I think the smart thing to do is wait til October also. Not that I think Herrod should be knocked back though.

The thing I'm worried about is price of the updated T-SERIES. Herrod is asking $7,000 for the 260kw upgrade, how is Ford gonna manage to stroke the T-series while remaining competetive?? Maybe its the case of short term loss, long term gain??

#7 ·
Ive heard of Supercharged Mustangs with around 450Hp that are still using the stock T-5 Gearbox. As long as you dont thrash it or do a 1/4mile run with slicks it can be alright, either that or buy a tremec TKO or find a wreck 6 speed Commodore and steal its T-56.

And $7000 for 40Kw is a bit rich.

#8 ·
JEM said:
...how is Ford gonna manage to stroke the T-series while remaining competetive?? Maybe its the case of short term loss, long term gain??
I've been asking the same questions myself JEM. I just hope the price doesn't go through the roof and people run to the cheaper HSV range. I think the second sentence above is very appropriate at this point in time...

#9 ·
Every T5 I've seen lunch itself had done the 2-3 cluster. Definitely the weak point. My friend lunched his T5 when he didn't engage 2nd gear fully and let the clutch out - result one snapped cluster! The point is that the clusters fail due to impact loads and wear from oiling problems on 2-3. It comes down to your driving. Ford would never warrant the T5 for the 260kW engines because of torque - not power. It is probably also the reason why the manuals have a paltry 1200kg towing capacity.

As for T-Series, you'd have to guess the T56 would be the chosen weapon for the strokers.

#10 ·
Thanks for all your comments, I think the bottom line is we will have to wait and see. Ideally I would love to see a TE package with the 260kw plus a brake and suspension upgrade and a 6 spd box wouldn’t go astray. But as mentioned, and I agree, the cost will be the thing to watch. Though, if we are patient, in the next five years there should be some pretty good second hand vehicles around, all nicely broken in with their faults sorted out!, or maybe I dream too much!.

#11 ·
I realise there stock T5 which i got :D , isn't up to scratch when putting power more than 230kw, but i've heard around theres a strengthened T5 for Racing, kind of a race spec version. I'm not sure about the design of the two gearbox's but i'm sure you should be able to get the strengthen bits of the upgraded T5 and retro fit the parts, but don't quote me on it.
What i do know is they used T5's for racing and they are putting over 350kw on them.

Laminge,
If i had that kind of kw's on my car, i'd consider askin around for that upgraded T5.
T56 is way too $$$$$.

#13 ·
Fro mwhat I've now been told, the XR/TE T5 is the box with all the good stuff in it already. There are no further mods available to increase torque capacity. So, the box as it stands is a dead end.

#14 ·
#15 ·
From what I have found out, The Aussie T5's are different to the US spec T5's. The T5's in the 6's & 8's in Aus are also different (handy to know for anyone planning a conversion)
As best I can tell the Aus spec V8 T5 is good for around 325 ftlb, & the 6 cylinder specced T5 is good for only 265 ftlb (maybe Discovery could confirm / refute this info through Ford)
Considering that Ford Motorsport have parts to upgrade the US T5's to 330, then these upgade parts should also be available for our Aussie boxes as well.

#17 ·
THE DOCTOR said:
thats a nice web site you found there pete, keep clickin on racesearch.com......
You will find a nice crankshaft kit there..... :rolleyes: Something with the numbers 4340 (?) and 347 (he, he).

As for the T5s, I spoke to Craft Diffs in Sydney today. they said the late model XRs (AU) have the best spec box already. he said there are no mods for these boxes to improve them. Craft Diffs are VERY GOOD with boxes - I know from my racing days.

#19 ·
THE DOCTOR said:
Very good 99, 4340 is correct, but 347 is not the right number. Keep clicking..
347 - well given constraints of XR blocks, unfortunately it is. I think the right numbers are something like those in a Mustang they use to recycle tyres at motorsport events!

#21 ·
Good to hear from a T series owner. I hope you are enjoying your car Mike.

I believe the box in your car would probably be ok for 260kw if you were careful. I have looked at the same upgrade from Herrod myself and I too have decided to wait untill I see what Tickford come up with. I have been told by people who should know not to wait and get a supercharger with the reason being that you will understand why in a few months.

Look forward to seeing your photos

#22 ·
THE DOCTOR said:
4340 is right but what does 347 have to do with me though.
I was just being generic - there is of course a nicer crank kit for the 351W block which has something approaching the right numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.