Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question--New Ground Effects Kits Interest?

I've got a friend (ok, in-law) who's looking for something to do with his platics/composites shop. How much interest is there in new Probe parts? I'm thinking new ground effects kits, perhaps come interior dress-up parts.

From what I've read, some of the currently available stuff isn't anymore, and quality is iffy. So help me convince him to make stuff for our cars, brainstorm!

(Yes, I posted this over in Buy-Sell too--missed this section, oops)

P

·
0 Posts
If your friend (in-law) decides to do this Im sure he wont regret it. The biggest problem owning a probe is that aftermarket products are very rare. Theres a market for Probe products, and a great need for body kits. Up until about 6 months ago, there was only 4 body kits (xenon-discontinued, erebuni-shogun, fx designs and sinsei) and just recently we got 3 more front ends (cw or what?, corksport lip, and MC Rallying - only 5 in the country imported from England).
A lot of people would buy a good looking body kit if the quality was good too. Hell if it looks good we will buy it, no matter what. When the sinsei kit came out, we liked the way it looked and bought them unseen. Some of us have already waited over 8 months after we paid and we still didnt get our kits. That show how fanatic probe owners are. Just get your friend to design a nice kit, make it good quality for the long run and he will make $$$$$...

P.S.: If you need any info on the kits that are available now for the Probe, lemme know and Ill try to help you. I think I even have a good idea for a front end, I got pics...

P

·
0 Posts
Also a carbon-fiber and aluminum looking interior kit for the center console, vents and the trim around the gauges would be a good idea too. Im painting these parts right now and preparing everything (wet-sanding, cleaning, primer, paint, clean coat) takes forever. If there was a kit I would have probably bought that for a more professional look.

You may also want to think about M3 mirrors, they are very popular now! Noone made these for us until recently. These improve the looks of most cars, and they look awesome on the probe. I bought a pair from someone on the other board who had them from the manufacturer, and they do not fit. I have already, redrilled the holes for the bolts, cut the base of the mirrors a number of times and they still just wont fit... Make them non-power, and it should be easy to mass-produce them.

Any questions, or anything I can help email me!

P

·
0 Posts
I will put a copy of this in the Probe Club Forum so more people see it. Come on guys we need some support in here!!!!!!!!!! Ideas please...

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ProbeBandit said:
Also a carbon-fiber and aluminum looking interior kit for the center console, vents and the trim around the gauges would be a good idea too. Im painting these parts right now and preparing everything (wet-sanding, cleaning, primer, paint, clean coat) takes forever. If there was a kit I would have probably bought that for a more professional look.

Funny you should suggest that, I thought the same thing after looking at the Speedhut gagues today.

You may also want to think about M3 mirrors, they are very popular now! Noone made these for us until recently. These improve the looks of most cars, and they look awesome on the probe. I bought a pair from someone on the other board who had them from the manufacturer, and they do not fit. I have already, redrilled the holes for the bolts, cut the base of the mirrors a number of times and they still just wont fit... Make them non-power, and it should be easy to mass-produce them.
Not sure if he can do that, but I'll throw out the suggestion.

So far as ideas, throw them! Personally I like the stock nose and will probably leave it (except for some proto tests--I think I'm gonna get real good at removing that bumper:rolleyes: )

So far as quality, I expect it will be quite good, we're both perfectionists.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Yeah, when the Sensei kit came out. They didn't realize the demand they would get from it. A lot of orders came in for it, they were not prepared at all, lots of backorders. The kits look so good but the craftsmanship is awful.:(

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah, the crafrtmanship is VERY BAD, but thats not the worst thing about it: they still have my $1200 and I still dont have my kit after 8 months. The only thing that came in is the hood, and mine wasnt even that bad, but after I looked at it, I called FX Designs and placed an order for a combat kit. Now Im waiting for a sinsei kit AND an FX... :rolleyes:

·
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.
194 Posts
I know that I would like to see some new side skirts. The Shogun and FX look too similiar, and forget about Sinsei. A new rear bumper would be nice too, again Erebuni's is ugly, and Sinsei's is crap.

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I'll pass the suggestions along.

If (when) this gets rolling, it will be mainly a one-man shop with some part-time help (myself & his bro), so there's likely to be a little lead time, BUT we'll do our best to make sure things fit right--I don't really want low quality stuff associated with my name.

We're thinking about starting our with a simple lip for the front (kind of like the Corksport idea), and maybe a wing or two. I'll run the idea of some interior dess-up parts by him. I'm thinking the center console bezels--the pieces around the radio & HVAC controls, and the one around the shifter & parking brake; also maybe the gauge surround (my concept is to finish off the pod when the SpeedHut carbon-look overlay is used). :thumbup: ? :thumbdown: ?

·
Probe GT Member
54 Posts
Sorry, but the probe doesn't need more lip's it need's more front bumper replacment's something differant from the senseiand shogun! anything as long as it look's good. Also if you are going to do interior accent's make them replacement accent's if you want them more professional. make aluminum centerconsole(where the radio and etc is) replacemant's with aluminum vent's. If you wanted to go even farther make some weight reduction interior door replacement's out of plastic withthe same kinda line to match the rest of the interior but be able to keep the power feature's there...

I could go on and on for a while so ask me if you want more Idea's....l8ta,

keith-

P

·
0 Posts
IMA we DO need more lips. Yes, theres a couple of new lips on the market now, but not one even comes anywhere close to the Jap Spec front. I also saw an English front lip that was VERY nice too. I have pics, I just need to upload them somewhere first...

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you've got pics with ideas, so long as they aren't huge, e-mail them to me (I'm on DSL, to size & time doesn't really matter).

Again, once some ideas are in place & things get rolling, we'll want to start small to make sure we know what we're doing before tackling full bumper replacements. As far as I know we're also limited to plastics/composites--no facility or experience for aluminum, although I'm sure an aluminum-look could be achieved.

Thanks for the input, keep 'em coming.

P

·
0 Posts
OK, lemme see if I can find these pics and Ill send them to you in an email...

·
Probe GT Member
54 Posts
certain lip's don't look good on the fron stock bumper of the probe and some do.. the only lip I like is the fx 1st series lip cause it matche's well withthe front bumper as well withthe rest of the fx kit. If you have any new pic's of these new lip's Iwould also like to see them....

ok instead of aluminum make plastic interior replacement piece's with 2d design graphic on them ...

could be flame's could be a name/s of some sort or anytype of design or have a paintable replacement dash so it can be paint matched to the exsisting color of the car... Given these are big project's but something that you can work from...l8ta,

keith-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts