Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me what a snorkel is please. What does it do to your car? etc.

(I think this might be in the wrong forum?)

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
do you mean the intake snorkle?
If so its the bit that runs from above your bumper, near the radiator (in engine bay) to the Air filter box.

People here usually put on a Tickford snorkle on their e-series because it is bigger and promotes more flow to the air intake. And should in theory give better power, fuel economy and throttle response. There will be a few threads about it in the tech area

-Jase

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EFJase said:
do you mean the intake snorkle?
no clue because I don't know what one is to begin with :)

People here usually put on a Tickford snorkle on their e-series because it is bigger and promotes more flow to the air intake. And should in theory give better power, fuel economy and throttle response. There will be a few threads about it in the tech area

-Jase
I'll check the tech area. Thanks. :)

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
courtesy of JR's site:

You can see the stock small BA snorkel (in black) compared to the BA XR6 Turbo snorkel (in blue)

And here is where it sits in the engine bay:

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Pretty big difference there!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much does it cost to get done roughly? and is it worth getting? and can my EB XR8 get it?

I feel like a tool asking all that

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I can't remember which one you get for the EB, but it shouldn't cost more than about $40 from Ford spare parts dept, and you can install it yourself with a screwdriver and 5 mins . . . its dead easy.

Its good to see a girl driving a V8 falcon :)

Oh, did you do the quad light conversion on the XR ?

·
Registered
847 Posts
The one you want fordgirl is an XH falcon UTE snorkel it will look like this... the old one is on top for comparison.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Or get really caried away like I did and put in an EF air box as well (fair bit of work in this mod)

·
If Only I Had Lexus Power
827 Posts
geez -- You certainly must have spent some time on that EF setup

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XR8 Lamah said:
I can't remember which one you get for the EB, but it shouldn't cost more than about $40 from Ford spare parts dept, and you can install it yourself with a screwdriver and 5 mins . . . its dead easy.
Well I bet I'll have a go and it won't be dead easy lol

Its good to see a girl driving a V8 falcon :)
Sure is :smlwink:

Oh, did you do the quad light conversion on the XR ?
Yep

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But is it really worth getting?

I really want to start doing things to my car, so maybe I should spend my money on something else? I wouldn't mind some ideas from you guys please

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Woah, ignore what 6pAc|30nG|00n and Dellboy999 said (No offence guys) What they said only refers to the 6cyl EA-EDs. The EB/ED V8s air intake system is different.

I think an EL GT snorkle is what you want and it should bolt right in.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thats cool man i wasnt sure what the EB\ED V8's ran I just assumed it was the same as the six's airbox, so does it flow like the ef el box?

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Fordqurl, the snorkle you are after is the EF/EL XR8 one, part number EFTVE 9A624 A. It should cost just under $40 and as said is extremely easy to fit, just undo the 2 screws holding your old one in and replace. Also a good idea is to replace the filter with a K&N type high flow one which will cost around $110. Together they will give you a couple of kw's but will also allow the engine to rev easier.

After that look at exhaust and extractors, that is where a decent power increase and better drivability will come from.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EDXR8 said:
Fordqurl, the snorkle you are after is the EF/EL XR8 one, part number EFTVE 9A624 A. It should cost just under $40 and as said is extremely easy to fit, just undo the 2 screws holding your old one in and replace. Also a good idea is to replace the filter with a K&N type high flow one which will cost around $110. Together they will give you a couple of kw's but will also allow the engine to rev easier.
Thanks :). At the moment I'm looking into what to do motor wise, so I'll keep in mind what you've said.

After that look at exhaust and extractors, that is where a decent power increase and better drivability will come from.
I have extractors and exhaust system.

·
2,784 Posts
How much do you want to spend. Small increases can be made, probably to around 200kw's reasonably cheaply but after that it gets expensive.

First engine mods to consider would be intake. Upgrade to an AU style manifold or Edelbrock/Trickflow after market one would be the first step. Then, depending on budget you would look to have your heads ported or upgrade them for better flowing units. Roller rockers and cam upgrade next along with larger MAF and throttle body.

·
2,784 Posts
For that price I would look at a general rebuild and freshen up of the engine ($2k) then a CAPA supercharger kit ($6k), best bang for $$$$ by far. If you want to keep it NA, then do a stroker kit with nice heads, intake and cam etc etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts