Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got a quote back from K-Mac regarding the suspension setup on the AU1 XR6.

Any opinions?

K-MAC TOTAL SYSTEM for your AU comprises:

Springs $330 (set of 4)
K-MAC front Sports Shocks $345 pair
K-MAC rear Sports Shocks $225 pair
27mm diam. front Anti-sway Bar $195
18mm diam. front Anti-sway Bar $165
Front Camber and Caster adjuster kit $295

Total $1555

These are the equivelent to Superlows and should make the car look like this:

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Prices seem reasonable, though I'm not much of a fan of K-Mac.
Firstly, I don't like progressive wound springs, I'd use Lovells personally.
Secondly, I've had many experiences with there caster kits and I prefer the shim type over the ratchet type.
Thirdly, I would use a 30mm front bar instead of 27, doesn't really matter what brand though.
I'd probably also go for Koni or Bilstien shocks too.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm just going from what I have experienced with K-Mac stuff.

Rick.

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
i've got a complete k-mac set up on my car except for the rear coils (custom pedders) 32mm sway bar up frount and a 27mm rear, cant say i ahve had any troubles with it all.

personly i reckon they are all the same... shop around pedders/kmac/whiteline all offer kits see who offer the best deal.

cheers.joe.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to ask what the difference between progressive wound springs and Lovells springs are?

Also, I do prefer shim type castor kits too and will be going that way, had them in the EB and found them to be excellent.

I am not sure if I want to go a 27mm front sway bar yet as I still want the car to be reasonably comfortable...30mm is just overkill and will stiffen the front too much. With IRS at the rear it will make it too stiff at the front I think.

Finally, yes, Bilstien or Koni shocks would be nice but $$$ is out of the question!

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Lovells are single rate, K-Mac are progressive rate (the ones I've used have always been anyhow). I've always found a progressive rate spring doesn't allow a car to sit as flat as a single rate spring, they always tend to move around more. I've had the same experience with motorbikes.

Sway bars won't have any effect on ride quality, and don't forget 27mm is only 1mm bigger than the standard 26mm unit and will only be 16% stiffer. 30mm is 77% stiffer.

Find out who makes the K-Mac shocks as you may learn that they are made by someone like Monroe anyway.

Rick.

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
YES THE kmac's shocks are made by the same mob who make the pedders ones (well the big bore short travel ones are anyways.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
K-mac

K-Mac customer service is severely lacking. An adjustable sway bar for my XB Falcon hit the brake calipers and fouled on the brake hoses. I had to shorten the sway bar so that it would clear the calipers, and get custome made brake hoses.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
I fitted progressive rate King springs at one point ("low" height - ie. same as std XR6) - initially I didn't think they were too bad over the space of a week driving around town, but after a 4000km across country drive (WA to Cairns) the first thing I did when we got to CAirns was take the car in to Fulcrum and get std rate ones put in (actually I fell on my knees and said "PLEASE get those F----- pieces of shit out of my car - I'll pay ANYTHING!!!).

The variable rate springs make the car tend to "roller coaster" over undulations in the road surface - they're good over small irregularities and bumps but irregularities that are larger (ie. falling into the category more of undulations) make the experience quite nasty.

After the std rate ones went in, the car was an absolute dream - and has been to this day (about 2 years since) - of course the shockies have something to do with that also.

NOTE: I should make it clear that this was with variable rate shockies too (Bilstein) - so perhaps the variable spring rate and variable shockie valving interfered with each other??

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Casper said:
Well, I just got a quote back from K-Mac regarding the suspension setup on the AU1 XR6.

Any opinions?

K-MAC TOTAL SYSTEM for your AU comprises:

Springs $330 (set of 4)
K-MAC front Sports Shocks $345 pair
K-MAC rear Sports Shocks $225 pair
27mm diam. front Anti-sway Bar $195
18mm diam. front Anti-sway Bar $165
Front Camber and Caster adjuster kit $295

Total $1555

These are the equivelent to Superlows and should make the car look like this:
just a different option for you..
4 superlow kings springs
2 front munro gt struts
2 rear munro gt shocks $530 the lot.
good ride, can still put 5 poeple in the car not a worry...

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
My 2 cents worth:

*Go King super lows, they're progressive and are good for everyday driving over single rate.
*Koni 52 series shocks front and rear (works good with king S/L), as used on the T series and, once again very good for daily driver.
*Shim type camber/caster adjusters, more stable.
*Keep your standard sway bars, good enough unless you really plan on attacking every corner you come across.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
XXXR8 said:
My 2 cents worth:

*Go King super lows, they're progressive and are good for everyday driving over single rate.
*Koni 52 series shocks front and rear (works good with king S/L), as used on the T series and, once again very good for daily driver.
*Keep your standard sway bars, good enough unless you really plan on attacking every corner you come across.
That's the setup I have on my XR6 and it works extremely well. Though i thought the shocks were 82 series, not 52 (reddy-orangey ones)

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
Arr - yes I should make it clear I'm bagging variable rate "Low" spec springs - variable rate in "Superlow" might well be fine (unfortunately, being in the country made Superlows not an option for me).

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
XXXR8 said:
My 2 cents worth:

Yes to Superlows, at $180 for all 4 thats too good an offer
No to Koni's, thats just way too expensive for me. Will work out shocks later
Yes to shim instead of adjustable. Had shim before, will do me fine again
Yes to keeping std sway bars. They can always be changed easy enough later but I doubt the will need it.

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
Casper said:
Yes to Superlows, at $180 for all 4 thats too good an offer
No to Koni's, thats just way too expensive for me. Will work out shocks later
Yes to shim instead of adjustable. Had shim before, will do me fine again
Yes to keeping std sway bars. They can always be changed easy enough later but I doubt the will need it.
Koni's do cost a bit but without them you will hate the way the car rides anything more than a minor surface imperfection. And being a series 1 XR which had a different suspension setup to s2 and s3, the Koni's will make a much noticeable and enjoyable car to drive. $$'s talk in the end though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts