Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Classic Mustang Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, unfortunately, got talked into helping a friend in removing & replacing the drip rails on his 67. Since this is a new experience for both of us & since I don't want to "screw up" his paint I need to know how this is done. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Now what did I do with those vise grips?

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
With a little padding to protect the drip rail, an old-fashioned bottle/beer opener works great. Go slow and work it off in small steps.

·
Classic Mustang Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SuperDave said:
With a little padding to protect the drip rail, an old-fashioned bottle/beer opener works great. Go slow and work it off in small steps.
Is the opener used from the top of the drip rail or the bottom? I went out to look at mine during lunch. If the opener is used from the top or bottom, I don't see how it would work. I'm sorry, I just don't see how it is done. Can you elaborate a little more on this subject, please.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
31 Posts
I assume you mean drip rail moldings and not the drip rail itself. Start from either end and the underneath side. Peel the bottom side out and up. Once you get it started it will want to pop off most cars. If it was previously epoxyed then it will be a lot tougher to remove. Putting on the new molding without damaging it is the real trick. My method sucks but I got it done. Perhaps someone else can elaborate. Note: reproduction moldings have dimensional differences and are plain hard to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts