Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
still around... sometimes
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And i got absolutely flogged. Surprise surprise! It was a mates car, which was slightly modded to 200kw (at the engine), and it was an auto. We have our own private road, so it was legal and everything :angel: , but at the limiter, he had about 8 car-lenghts.

Is it possible for a modded 6 to beat these bloody things? Coz i don't wanna go down the performance route, only to learn i need to spend $10K (doing own work) to beat a bloody VR!

Oh, and anyone wanna sell a TO4 and plumbing etc? hahaha

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
yes mate its easy...with the right stuff.

do you have a manual? what is your diff ratio?

get one of turbotranas EMS harnesses and an 8860 (or whatever it is) or a MAF sensor setup from XR9UTE (its a little more expencive, but has its benifits), then get your cam reground nice and lumpy, along with a proper exhaust.

if you want to after that, convert to the broad band manifold (like on EF onwards) which should help a fair bit too.

with a cam, computer and exhaust you should do well, even if you have an auto and a pov diff (like a 3.08) because you have an aftermarket computer you can get a much bigger cam than the stock comp will allow, and hence make more hp. the manifold will help as well.

if cam chip and zorst isnt enough, get a shorter diff (like a 3.7 LSD) and a slightly higher stall converter, one thats about 500rpm higher than stock.

the aftermarket computer (whichever you choose) has a secondary benifit, in that if you ever do get the cash to get a turbo or supercharger all you have to do is upgrade the fuel system, get whichever boosting apparatus you desire, get it plumbed in, and then reprogram to suit :s6:

i think 2k should get you a cam, computer (the 8860) and BBM, and you should have a very decently quick car.

·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i got me an auto with a povo diff ratio haha. I already got a catback 2.5", but that's it. I got $1.5K to spend so far, if i don't get wheels and tints. The head will be off in the next 2 or so months for a rebuild, so any suggestions there? All labor is free (and guaranteed coz my mechanic is dating my mum!) so i only have to fork out for parts (trade prices). Is it worth my while doing the manual conversion, or will a kitted auto (i've heard they are fragile tho...) do the job?
I had planned to get extractors and chip in about May next year, but what ones (extractors) are good value?
And i'm having trouble with the fan too, it always seems to come on before a drag, and it feels as though it saps half the power. It takes like 11.5s for 0-100 when it cuts in! Is a twin thermo conversion worth the few hunrdred bucks?

I guess my whole lot of crappin on and on and on, comes down to whats best bang 4 bucks!

thanks guys, any imput more than welcome! (be it constructive or othewise :)

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
i reckon get a manual with 3.45 diff gear and thatll keep him honest if not beat him!!!.... i think!... well i know the XR can! :p

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Thermo fans are one of the most worth while mods to do IMO. For me, it's not so much the power increase that impressed me, but the ease of workin on the motor as they are simple to unscrew, unplug and lift out, givin you ALOT more space to work at the front. Plus, have both turn on and you'll keep your car a lot cooler aswell.

Oh yeah, BBM is also a good idea, pretty easy to do on an ED as it's mpfi already. I haven't actually hooked up the dual runners, so I can't tell you how much of a power difference it gives...

·
LET EM' RIPPP
1,819 Posts
Yeah as mentioned above, its not real hard. Those things are lucky to run a mid 15 in stock form (5 speed). With a zorst, cam & gears a manual I6 will whip ass.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Rollin said:
get one of turbotranas EMS harnesses and an 8860 (or whatever it is) or a MAF sensor setup from XR9UTE (its a little more expencive, but has its benifits)
Rollin, could i get u too explain this a bit more, telling what each is and what it does basically?

Also what computers are u guys using? Every thread i read on em ends up in a arguement between the different types, and confusses the hell out of me :)

Cheers
Jase

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
I Killed a VR SS not worked auto around a year ago. There is a post floating around somewhere in the archives. I had my EB Series 2 with thermo fan conversion, Bigger intake, 2.5 inch Zorst and Outlaw extractors. Come to think of it that car would flog my AU hands down. What eve happened to that car I have not seen it driving around Geelong or on these forums.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Bottle it
Wont last long, but will be great fun while it does :)

·
Ford Anti B&S Squad
400 Posts
Just buy a VS V6 with a 5 speed manual. Much quicker than my old EA buy not as comfy. MY VS has a cold air intake and a cat back exhuast , beats a stock VR/VS SS auto. Did a 15.5 at heathcote on april this year.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
Rollin, could i get u too explain this a bit more, telling what each is and what it does basically?

Also what computers are u guys using? Every thread i read on em ends up in a arguement between the different types, and confusses the hell out of me :)
ok, im not exactly an authority in these relms, but i will tell you what i know.

the 8860 (if thats the proper name for it) is an aftermarket engine management computer, i believe that it still uses a MAP sensor to sense engine load/airflow whatever, and it is fully programmable - as i said, turbotrana posted up here a little while ago, he fitted one to his car and has decided to make up a patch harness (or a complete engine harness im not sure) to make it a simple 10 minute job to wire this up to an I6. im not sure what its capabilities are, wiether it can run thermos or whatever, but the fact it is programmable means you can get away with a much bigger cam than you can with a simple chip IMHO. and it craps all over the ford comp for programmability i think. maybe someone can PM turbotrana and get him to tell us about it? and maybe correct me on some assumptions i have made?

the MAf sensor setup that XR9UTE sells is a bit (well, depending on if you can source parts yourself) more expensive, but i believe it has its benifits.

he starts with a 5.0 V8 computer, which straight off the bat gives you Sequential EFi and programmable thermofan control, but the best bit is it is MAF based.

MAP sensors read manifold vaccume and air temp, and then work out how much air is in the intake manifold, and supplies fuel to suit. a MAF based system reads the amount of air coming into the engine directly, with no need for calculations.

when you fit a proper big cam to your car, the manifold vacumme drops a lot, and the difference in manifold vacuume between idle and WOT is not that large, meaning that careful tuning is required to make a MAP system work in a very hot NA application.

i am under the impression that for big boost applications a MAP system is better, due to the airflow measuring capabilities of a MAF not being so great at measuring massive amounts of air or something...im not sure.

because a MAF sensor just measures the air coming into the engine, it doesnt care if you have the Mother Of All Cams, or a baby one with 1mm of lift- it only measures the air going in. more air = more fuel.

the bonus with the SEFI +MAP setup is that it uses a tweecer, which allows 4 different fuel/spark maps to be saved, and switched between while the engine is running, if you like.

that means (for example) you can have one tune for BP ultimate and lots of hp, one for when you are in the middle of the bush, running sh!t fuel and need a lot of km out of a tank, one for when someone else drives it (like, cutout at 3000rpm or so) and then one you can switch to when you park the car - so if a theif gets past the alarm and immobiliser and gets the engine started, it wont rev past 1100rpm and runs like crap because its got 10:1 A/F ratio and 0 degrees ignition timing :D

im getting the MAF setup, but still waiting for it - apparently there is nil stock of tweecers until at least january, so that gives me time to save up for more engine mods :D

·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey rollin, that's some good readin there. Thanks, it's good to learn from those who know more than you. Looks like i'll go BBM, manual and extractors. I blew $350 on getting my car fixed yesterday (idle-->A/F ratio and timing problems) so that means less to spend, and i'll have to wait a bit. Not happy....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts