Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I understand the reasons behind modern electric cooling fan control methodology (noise reduction, precise temperature control, electrical power reduction). Seems like a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that would seem to increase the potential for failure. Now that I have experienced an overheat event (cooling fan quit) that maybe caused a head gasket leak, I'm wondering if using an OEM replacement makes sense. This isn't a money issue but a reliability issue. Our fleet manager Poster indicates that he "replaces these fans/controllers all the time". For the damage that can occur so quickly because of a failure, maybe these fans/controllers should be a maintenance replacement item for every 50K (or something like that.)

My questions are:

When these fans/controllers are replaced, what lifespans are people getting out of the original part and replacement parts?

Are there any replacement part manufacturers that have longer lasting/better part for this application? I read some mfrs say they have controls that can handle higher environmental temperatures and/or have "better" fan motors. Any names come to mind? The range of manufacturers and pricing is big.

Has anyone done a mod where a backup fan (a pusher) is installed in case the puller fan fails. It could be set up with a simple high temp coolant switch along with a manual override.

Any brush type motor wears out fairly quickly. There brushless motors ($$$) that would last a very long time but no OEM replacement parts have that technology. Custom units are available.

OR, am I just overthinking this and just need to by the cheapest fan/control replacement and cross my fingers?

·
2002 F150 XLT
11,016 Posts
Anything can have a problem , that's why they have warranty's. We've had cooling fans on our fleet cars be problem free for all the time they were in our fleet. Usually about 200,00 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good enough. I guess I'll buy the lowest cost one (SKP) from Rock Auto ($84). Includes controller and has a 12 mo warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
XPlumber
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing