Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 50 A fuse of blowing. Previously fan would run only with AC on, now it blows 50A fuse almost instantly. Any one have a photo or diagram showing location of the fan relays? I'm thinking the problem is probably a bad fan and/or te fan control module, but would like to check the relays first.

2004 Crown Vic pol int.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
I think the relays are in the module. Try disconnecting the fan from teh module and see if it still blows the fuse, it might be the fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CatSkinner, the module on my 2004 is integral to the fan so there is no way to disconnect it other than cutting the leads to the fan motor.

Saturday I installed a used fan and controller and replaced the 50A radiator fan use. Started car and let idle for 15 minutes. Temp stabilized at normal gauge reading and fan cycled on and off like normal. I thought it was good to go. Ran car today and didn't notice temp getting out of normal gauge until I got home and let car idle for 10 minutes and it started getting hot. Tried to run AC to see if fan would run and as soon as I engaged AC, heard a pop and saw black smoke coming from starter area near exhaust manifold. Put car on ramps and found O2 sensor connector black so the sensor/connector seems to have shorted. Nothing else down there appeared damaged. Could the O2 sensor and connector shorting have beed the root cause or is this unrelated issue? Found 50A fan fuse was blown again...

Oreilly's sold me a 30A and a 50A relay and told me they were for radiator fan, but I am unable to determine which relays in the battery junction box need replacing. Guess I will have to pull all of the relays and try to test them with Ohm meter as owners manual does not identify any of these relays as being related to the radiator fan. Does anyone know which relays if any are for the fan?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bert, The owner's manual for my 2004 ends at page 248...

Were you referring to the relay designated as 301 in the battery junction box?
Relay 301 is marked as Blower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks R.S.
Basically that's the same information as in the owner's manual and no reference to relays for the radiator fan.

Today once again I replaced the 50A fuse for the fan and let the car idle about 30 minutes. Fan cycled on and off as it should, but I never activated the air conditioner. As the AC clutch/bearing is starting to sound load/worn, I am wondering if the AC clutch could somehow be causing a short or overload in the fan circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drove the car almost 100 miles today and the fan was still working when I returned home, however, I did not run the AC.

·
Super Moderator
820 Posts
Unless Im mistaken you should have the 2 speed fan, perhaps the high speed fan circuit is shorted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts