Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im gonna begin to convert to ram air in my 84, but i was wondering. every1 tells me to run the hose underneath the bumper and inbetween the air dam. well i was wondering, on the 84s, they have the slotted grills. if i ran the hose between a grill slit, would that still be ram air, would it be the same as under the bumper? please help!

·
HO V6 XR5i
118 Posts

You'd be real hard pressed to route intake hosing to the grille because the radiator/condenser is right there. Besides, the best location is the air dam opening under the bumper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant find any hose that is long enough, nor the right diameter to fit the box. i disconnected the hose that went between the inner and outer fender, but its way too short to reach under the bumper. but i cant find any hose the same size, the rectangular hose, or long enough to reach. what do u suggest?

·
Tempo L Member
8 Posts
For my intake system i used Rad. hose... works quite well... I just went to Lordco and ordered the right size... was alittle pricey though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did that hose require cutting of the air box though? im kinda trying to steer away from cutting it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used "dryer duct". It's a thin white plastic tube with a stiff wire coiled around the inside to keep it from collapsing. It should be available at any hardware store. 3" is a good size to use. I used a hose clamp to hold it to the air box inlet. On my 94 the inlet is oval shaped so it clamped on pretty easy. Then I attached a 6" length of 3" steel pipe to the other end of the duct to make the inlet for the ram air system. The pipe was attached to the bumper cover with a couple screws.

The only problem I ran into is that the dryer duct is very thin and would tear when it rubbed on the frame of the car. You might want to wrap it with duct tape anywhere it contacts the car.

Don't expect any huge gains from this. The path from the inlet to the air box is long and has lots of curves so the ram-air effect is lessened. I saw a cool setup a few days ago on an SHO where the guy bought a second headlamp, removed the lense and cut the bulb hole in the back bigger. Then he ran a 3" hose from the back of the headlamp to the air box. The distance was only about 8" so it was much more direct and effective. The headlamp also acted as a big funnel to scoop the air into the air box. Of course this is a daytime or 1/4 mile only mod since you would only have one working headlamp. I'm going to look into this mod if I end up using the stock airbox on my car. It's probably worth a few extra HP and quicker 1/4 mile times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well for that exact reason, the length and the curves, i figured if i ran it right to the front grill, which in an 84 is maybe 6 inches, if that, away from the air box, less than a foot i know. it has one turn in it, around the radiator. i know it fits around the radiator and in front, but my tube isnt long enough to reach the grill. so with this setup, the tube is much shorter, 1 bend, and no elevation changes in the tube. Guillermo said its a bad idea, and i trust him before i trust myself, but i just think it would be more functional and more logical. any thoughts on that?

Attachments

·
Tempo L Member
8 Posts
Nope, using Rad. Hose didn't require any cutting of the airbox... It's also quite resistant to wear and tear and will with stand the heat of the engine...

For a 3inch diameter, 3ft. peice of rad hose it cost me $70 Canadian.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts