Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Southern Coupe
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this pic of a couple of XA Coupes - the bonnet scoops look to be factory or maybe dealer fitted? Does anyone know if these were some sort of option? I havnt been able to find anything on them anywhere - also those stripes, are they dealer items also??

Cheers, Cheyne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
CJR09 said:
Came across this pic of a couple of XA Coupes - the bonnet spoilers look to be factory or maybe dealer fitted? Does anyone know if these were some sort of option? I havnt been able to find anything on them anywhere - also those stripes, are they dealer items also??

Cheers, Cheyne
Looks like a couple of McLeod Ford 'Horn Cars' originating from Rockdale, NSW. They were kitted out with dealer options including some very funky interior trim as well as those oh so 70's striping decals.

You often see their garrish ads up on Ebay for half decent money, probably the most famous being the one with a group of Lions straddled across some heavily optioned coupes.
 

·
Southern Coupe
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Road runner said:
Looks like a couple of McLeod Ford 'Horn Cars' originating from Rockdale, NSW. They were kitted out with dealer options including some very funky interior trim as well as those oh so 70's striping decals.

You often see their garrish ads up on Ebay for half decent money, probably the most famous being the one with a group of Lions straddled across some heavily optioned coupes.

No shit - didnt think they went that extreme with them - lions on a ford??

What did they do with the interiors?

I reckon the ones in the pic look pretty mean, even the decals look good on them - what would the chances of coming across one of those bonnet scoops be??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
CJR09 said:
No shit - didnt think they went that extreme with them - lions on a ford??

What did they do with the interiors?

I reckon the ones in the pic look pretty mean, even the decals look good on them - what would the chances of coming across one of those bonnet scoops be??
Think the Lion thing was a 'king of the jungle' type of deal.

The interiors had a choice of funky colours and patterns from fluro orange, lime greens and flower power patterns, outta sight maaan!

Haven't a clue about the scoop, probably a period item hard to get now, but there maybe something similar out there. McLeod even customised the John Goss specials with tartan style seat inserts and a drooping rear spoiler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
look like Mustang scoops. Those lions actually caved in the roof of a new GT coupe during the photoshoot
 

·
PHAT COUPES
Joined
·
896 Posts
Yeah those scoops look like the mustang ones .
If you are looking at bonnet scoops for the xa bonnet good luck I looked at them for so long and none would do justice to the xa bonnet lines .
I solved my problem by having a custom bonnet made up in carbon fibre with a ba gt bulge for a extra 2 inch clearance .
 

·
Southern Coupe
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Road runner said:
Check out the grannies bathroom wallpaper on the seat over on the far right. Probably would've went nice with your checkered flares and your houndstooth smoking jacket!

LOL - thats awesome, I think I vaguely remember seeing that tartan Goss in a magazine somewhere, quite a while ago now though.

I had a look at some more pics and I had never noticed those stripes on the Goss/Bartlett race car before!

What ever happened to Mcleod and his business - did it die out with the dramas in the 70's?
 

·
Southern Coupe
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tony xa said:
Yeah those scoops look like the mustang ones .
If you are looking at bonnet scoops for the xa bonnet good luck I looked at them for so long and none would do justice to the xa bonnet lines .
I solved my problem by having a custom bonnet made up in carbon fibre with a ba gt bulge for a extra 2 inch clearance .
xcgxl said:
look like Mustang scoops.


I think they are a viable option over the hornet type scoops, its hard to say without seeing it in the flesh.

How did you sort your bonnet Tony - did you keep the centre profile of the bonnet and graft the bulge over top of it? You gotta have some pics of that!?
 

·
PHAT COUPES
Joined
·
896 Posts
CJR09 said:
I think they are a viable option over the hornet type scoops, its hard to say without seeing it in the flesh.

How did you sort your bonnet Tony - did you keep the centre profile of the bonnet and graft the bulge over top of it? You gotta have some pics of that!?
The mustang scoops are much better looking than the hornet scoops.
I don't have any pics yet as the bonnet is having a mould taken of it for future plains .
I have tried to explain the bonnet and I just can't write it down to make sense so as soon as its done I will post pics and details for you .
I havn't used the ba bulge just made the xa gt bonnet look like it was brought out with a simalar bonnet .
 

·
Southern Coupe
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tony xa said:
I don't have any pics yet as the bonnet is having a mould taken of it for future plains .


Sounds interesting - you moving into the after aftermarket sector?

Those mustang scoops would be quite readily available in the states wouldnt they? they have repro mustang everything......
 

·
PHAT COUPES
Joined
·
896 Posts
CJR09 said:
Sounds interesting - you moving into the after aftermarket sector?

Those mustang scoops would be quite readily available in the states wouldnt they? they have repro mustang everything......
There are shops in the usa that just do aftermarket scoops bonnets etc and there is alot avail but I just couldn't find the perfect one for me .

As for my bonnet I will be making it avail once 100% complete and sorted .
The mould started life as a genuine Xa Gt bonnet with pins and flutes and with the extra clearance and being made in carbon fibre it should look pretty good .I also hope to make the Xa gt fenders in the future.
I guess time will tell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
xcgxl said:
look like Mustang scoops.
It's actually called a Cobra Jet scoop and it was first installed on the 1968 Fairlane and then on the 1968 1/2 428CJ Mustang. It was used until the 1970 model Mustang. These look good on the XA as it uses the "W" hood styling that was first seen on the 1968 Fairlanes. I have one on my XA with the functional turn signals installed in the back, facing the windshield. I'll post some pics one day when I finally get it out of the paint shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Quote "Notice the similar XA bulge down the middle of the hood on this 1969 Torino."

The XA was styled on the 69 Torino. I reckon that model Torino is a fantastic looking car, but then I would.


Steve
 

·
Fatso
Joined
·
600 Posts
jg66me said:
Quote "Notice the similar XA bulge down the middle of the hood on this 1969 Torino."

The XA was styled on the 69 Torino. I reckon that model Torino is a fantastic looking car, but then I would.


Steve

...and later 70 Torino for rear end styling and side glass...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Ohio XB said:
Here's a couple pictures of cars with Cobrajet scoops. There were at least a couple different styles of them over several years.
Everyone of those scoops are the same. There was only one style and depending on the car, engine option, and year, you could get them blacked out or body color. the CJ and SCJ powered cars would have the "Cobra Jet" script on the sides of the scoop while others listed the engine size: 302, 351, 390, 428. The scoop has "Short Boss" molded on the underside.

--J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
XAFALCONGS said:
Everyone of those scoops are the same. There was only one style and depending on the car, engine option, and year, you could get them blacked out or body color. the CJ and SCJ powered cars would have the "Cobra Jet" script on the sides of the scoop while others listed the engine size: 302, 351, 390, 428. The scoop has "Short Boss" molded on the underside.

--J
To Both XAFALCONGS and Ohio XB, It makes me feel good that you guys like our cars. Makes me feel better that you own them. And if any small minded Aussie gets upset about our cars in the US, my mate has a shed full of 56 Fairlane Victorias to counter the ballance. :hy:

Good onya both.

Oh yes, ever seen a book called the "Niffty Fiiftys"? That green and white 56 Crown Victoria. Well I knows where it lives here in Aus :hy:
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top