Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after doing quite a bit of detective work - I've managed to get my hands on some interesting information on the Ford Probe in Australia - from Ford Australia's historian himself. This person was also involved back in '94 with the official launch of the Probe in Australia, up in Surfers' Paradise, Queensland.

According to Ford's records, a TOTAL of 2010 Probes were brought into Australia between June 1994 and November 1997. The breakdown between models is:

ST - 1352
SU - 339
SV - 319

Blows me away. I'm going out to 'bubble wrap' my baby right now.............

P

·
0 Posts
I always knew the Probe was special but wow... 2010 models in Australia... You guys better take care of your rides...

Oh BTW, the ST is what we call GT??? Just curious...

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I have the same question as Probebandit, what does
ST,SU,SV mean ?

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys, I didn't think about explaining that bit.....

We only ever received the equivalent of the 'GT' model that was available in the US. The ONLY option available was ATX vs MTX. Ford differentiated the cars by these model codes.

ST was the 'spoiler-less' Probe GT - our years 94-95 model
SU had the spoiler - this was the 96 model
SV had the 'swirlies' - this was the 97 model

The final import was in November 1997 prior to the February 1998 discontinuance of the car.........

I hope this clears things up a bit......

Regards,

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhhhhhhh..........perhaps I should just add that the model name was on 'paper' only. I think that EVERY Probe had

PROBE 24V

On the back. These are the same spec as your 'GT'. I've got no idea what 'base' 'SE' etc means????.

Sorry, mate........ :(

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QuadCam_GT said:
Base= 4 cyl. with a diff front bumper
SE= 4 cyl. with the GT front bumper
I'm going to keep a lookout for the differences........there's a guy over here who has some US brochures he wants to sell - but I don't have the $$$ at the moment........

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Also the Base, SE, and GT all have differant style and size of wheels.

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QuadCam_GT said:
I'd like some of the brochures...
Quad, it's a complete set of US Probe brochures - I think 4 in all in "Mint" condition. The guys wants $100 Australian for them, plus postage.

I'd really like to have a look at them, but cannot afford the $100. I would pay the postage/shipping from him to me and then me to you if I could see them before they left our shores. You just pay the $A100 (basically $50US!!)

Oh, I WOULD scan them......I'll be honest with you. ;)

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quad, I'll PM you from here on..........

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Forget the brochures....anyone down under looking to swap GTs with a quick a-spec? :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Homer, that's really interesting - I am a bit confused though - I am an Aussie with a 1994 Probe that has a spoiler. Well actually it's registered as 1994 but on the chassis it says 1/1995.

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
The spoiler was an option on all the Probe's imported in the early days but was made standard after a few years. Pretty much the only 'factory' option was the sunroof.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts