Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have had this problem for awhile but Im finally going to do something about it, the best way to describe it is when driving along and you punch the accelerator it makes a rattling noise, seems to loss a bit of power and blows out black smoke, it seems to do it worse in 3rd 4th and 5th gear, I can rev it right out in 2nd and will hardly even make a noise but when changing to 3rd and putting the foot down hard it will make the noise.

Any ideas on what the problem is would be much appriciated.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
sounds like pinging either reset timing lower, use a higher octane fuel and/or an injector clean.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I thought it was pinging too but I checked the timing it was set right and I always run premium

·
Teh Pimp
311 Posts
I had a rattling problem and checked almost everything else. Checked the MAF sensor for one last attempt to fix the problem and I found the sensors were covered in a lot of s***!!! Get some carby cleaner and cotton buds and see if that works.

If it isn't, well it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway. Other things to try; replacing the spark plugs and spark plug leads (depending on how old the current ones are).

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
You could have a broken lead. I had a similar problem with mine. It used to fine up until 3000rpm then ping and bog down. I found out the lead was broken and I replaced it and now its fine.

my 2c

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Harmonic Balancer has slipped maybe - so timing looks right but really isnt possibly.

Jason

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
When they adjusted timing, was it done properly.As per Ford spec??
Its 30* with pins linked.. It sounds too far advanced...Check "damage will" happen!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
as per experiance it could be your harmonic balancer, the rubber could of slipped giving you a rattle as the outer and inner metals are touching. And when the timing has been done it would have give you a false reading as the outer and inner have slipped not giving you tdc just a thought.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have checked the timing a couple of times now as descibed in ellerys manual, I will check to see if tdc lines up on the harmonic balancer tomorrow

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
How did you go with the balancer?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt check it yet instead I retarded the timing back to 25 and it has fixed the problem so I guess the balancer has slipped a bit

·
Registered
71 Posts
Folks, I'm starting to get a similar problem in my EA.

I've had the head gasket and head replaced and all is running hunky dory, no loss of water at all anymore and temp is steady as she goes.

But that was a month or so ago, now I feel like I'm going through a bit more petrol than normal, I get black smoke coming out the back after the car has sat overnight and just in the past few days there seems to be some rattling occuring from the front part of the engine. At first I thought it was the fan coming loose but it seems to be from within the engine itself.

If it is the timing belt/harmonic balancer, I wouldn't have a clue what needs to be done to rectify it, so what am I looking at that needs to be done? Does the head need to come off again or just the front timing cover and the rocker cover? Does the cam need to come out? Radiator?

What will I be expecting to pay for a job like this? Does anyone in here know or recommend someone in East Melbourne at all that will do a top notch job and not charge an arm and a leg. I've been stung before with my car and find it hard to find a good mechanic. I must admit though that K-mart Tyre and Auto at Knox do a great job on their repairs so I'll end up there if they can do the job but if not I'll have to look elsewhere.

Car is an '88 EA CFI.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
It could be your cat is stuffed because of the engine running rich. Thats assuming its a rattling, tinny noise like you described.

Take it to someone to get it diagnosed. Its a bit hard for us to know without listening to the car itself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
blueoval said:
It could be your cat is stuffed because of the engine running rich. Thats assuming its a rattling, tinny noise like you described.
Yeah, checked to hear if it was exhaust or cat related but it is definitely coming from the front part of the engine. Am going in to KTAS tomorrow morning so they can check it out.

Thanks again.
Steve

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
sure, no worries. let us know how things go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts