Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8 cylinder symphony
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

i have a rattling noise , that occurs at different engine speeds. It does not do it when it is cold. It appears to come around 1900 rpm, and then again at 3500 rpm, and sounds like it is coming from the middle - upper section of the motor, so maybe its from the head? It sounds like chattering teeth.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brendan

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Is it pinging? Check your timing and see if it's ok. Too far advanced and it will make a rattling noise.

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
not sure...that could be it...will check it out....but it only does it when it is warm? if it was pining it should do it all the time shouldn't it?

·
8 cylinder symphony
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure...that could be it...will check it out....but it only does it when it is warm? if it was pining it should do it all the time shouldn't it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Could be hydraulic lifters. When the oil gets warmer it looses its viscosity (thickness of oil) and bleed down quicker. If it is ping, you will notice it more if the engine is under labour (sticking you foot on the fun pedal). Rip off the rocker cover and listen to see if the noise is more noticeable.

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
could be pinging. My EA did it only when hot when i got a bad batch of fuel. Knocked 3deg of timing and it all was swweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
sounds like your throttle body is sucking air mate..

lol no idea.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
I'd suggest worn valve stems/guides. That's what it was last time I stripped a motor that sounded like that, anyway :p
Pinging would usually be under load, but since it's easy to check.... Oh BTW any smoke of any description?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts