Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,975 Posts
You could try something like this . Not sure if it works or not or does any good / damage as it's not something I ever used or recommended . You could check the engine is breathing o.k and not building up excessive pressure with a faulty PCV valve I'm sure our Aussie expert Aussiblue will be able to advise far better than I if he sees the post .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try something like this . Not sure if it works or not or does any good / damage as it's not something I ever used or recommended . You could check the engine is breathing o.k and not building up excessive pressure with a faulty PCV valve I'm sure our Aussie expert Aussiblue will be able to advise far better than I if he sees the post .

so theres no product here in australia then

·
Super Moderator
4,111 Posts
Are you sure it's the rear main seal? If it is an inline six the rocker covers often leak near the firewall and drip down to look like a main seal leak. Main seal leaks while not completely unknown and relatively uncommon in these engine until they are well over the 300,000km mark. If it is the main seal leaking, while there are various products that claim to at least temporarily stop such leaks, be warned in modern engines that have finer clearances (there is a reason only fully synthetic oil is specifed) they often have detrimental effect on parts and in your vehicle the hydraulic lifters and camshaft phasers in particular don't like such additives. You might reduce the leak with such additives but it may cause significant damage to the valve train in the short to medium term.

Note even leaks from the front timing chain cover can travel along the bottom of the engine and appear at the rear bell housing and look like a rear main seal leaks. Thoroughly clean and degrease the bottom the engine and transmission to check that the main seal is actually the source of the oil leak. If it is the main seal you can replace it yourself for less than $100 and a good garage will not charge you that much more do it for you.

But Supercheap and Repco etc sell a range of oils top leaks including products from Rislone, Bars Leak, Nulon and Penrite if you want to roll the dice on that "solution".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts