Ford Forums banner

Rear brake Calipers

610 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  YooperDave 
#1 ·
My 02 Mountaineer 4.0 AWD has different size pistons on the rear calipers. The Dr side rear is larger where the pad clips into it then the right side. I'm running into trouble trying to buy Rear pads for it. The pad thats supposed to clip in it is way too small and just falls right in and is sloppy. Even the bolts that hold the calipers on are different sizes. I'm stumped

#3 ·
Being 20+ yrs old , dont know the mileage , but have the pads not been changed before ? No part numbers on old pads by chance ? Why it would have different callipers fitted beats me and would be interested to know the reason why .

#6 ·
I bought it about 3 years ago with a bad transmission. I put a fully remanufactured one in myself because I have a hoist in my pole barn- garage. I was just changing the pads and rotors and going over everything getting it road ready for my trip from TN to Northern Michigan for our yearly family reunion around the 4th of July. . Strangest thing I've ever encountered also. If I keep it long enough to do another brake job I'll change the caliprers so they match. I just spread the 3 little ears on the pad that fits into the piston out wider with a pair of channel locks and it fits good and snug now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.