Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my rear control arms about 2 months ago with second-hand but still good control arms from a wreck that I bought.

I know using second hand bushes is not really a good idea but I thought I would test these ones to see if that is what was causing the clunking in the rear end whenever I change gears or let off the go pedal and bock on to it.

The bushes that are in the control arms that I put into my car are nolothane. Now I know these make the car noisier. For the first few weeks, the car was great, no wheel-hopping during wheelspin in the wet, no clunking, all was good.

But now it started to come back about 2 weeks ago, and ever since it started it just keeps getting worse, almost to the point it was at when I changed them.

I followed the service manual for the removal and installation of the control arms, but I am wondering if it could be something I have done or if the bushes are stuffed.

Any help/comments appreciated.

Paul.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
I had ther same clunking noise you describe in my XF and it was knocked back on rego because of it, I replaced the control arm bushes with new ones (not all that hard a job) and it cut it out straight away, everything was much improved after I did this..

I would suggest that you replace the bushes.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had replaced them with nolothane bushes, they were second hand, but they were still in good condition.

I replaced them about 2 months ago, and now the clunk has come back.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
I had replaced them with nolothane bushes, they were second hand, but they were still in good condition.

I replaced them about 2 months ago, and now the clunk has come back.
I tend to never use 2nd hand bushes for suspension components on any car as they have already been worn in and could well be on their way out.. iirc it wasn't that expensive to buy new versions.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Beacuse also if I remember rightly its not that complicated a Job that you could mess anything up and the clunk not to return immediately or know about it as soon as you have finished although I can't really tell as I don't know the exact circumstances.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think I would have stuffed anything. I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

I dont normally use secong hand bits, but I had them laying around and my others were completely stuffed. I thought I might see if they fixed the prob and then go get new ones.

How hard is it to remove the bushes from the arms?
I replaced the whole lot when I did it.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
I dont think I would have stuffed anything. I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

I dont normally use secong hand bits, but I had them laying around and my others were completely stuffed. I thought I might see if they fixed the prob and then go get new ones.

How hard is it to remove the bushes from the arms?
I replaced the whole lot when I did it.
Yeah I didn't think so as it is pretty impossible to stuff anything with the small amount of work involved in removing the arms....

Got someone you know with a hydraulic press? I took them down to a mates shed and we pressed the old ones out and new ones in within 20 minutes..

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DONUT KING said:

Got someone you know with a hydraulic press
Na.

The nolothane bushes are a bit different to the standard ones. They are not encased in a metal shell, just all rubber.

Will go buy new ones tomorrow and see what I can do.

Did you use standard replacments or otherwise?

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:

Na.

The nolothane bushes are a bit different to the standard ones. They are not encased in a metal shell, just all rubber.

Will go buy new ones tomorrow and see what I can do.

Did you use standard replacments or otherwise?
I got non genuine neroprene ones...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
When you replaced the bushes did you do up the bolts on the control arm only finger tight when the car was jacked up? Then drop the jack and then tighten them all the way??

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Martin said:
When you replaced the bushes did you do up the bolts on the control arm only finger tight when the car was jacked up? Then drop the jack and then tighten them all the way??
Umm....no. I did them up all the way while on jackstands.

Is that bad??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts