Ford Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
F-250 Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

I just purchased a 1991 Ford F-250 with dual tanks. It runs on the Front tank just fine, but when I switch to the rear tank it hesitates, bucks under load, etc. Switch back to the front tank and everythings ok again. Wierd, huh!! Could it be a faulty fuel pump? They're INSIDE the tanks, aren't they.....

No problems (YET) with crossflow between tanks, either......

Any help would be greatly apprecieated!

Jim aka "jamming4jim"

·
Mod/Multicar Member
149 Posts
yes the fuel pump is in the tank.it sounds like your fuel pump is on its way out. i would check the lines before i pulled out the tank and make sure you dont have one thats pinched or clogged.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
If you do decide to replace the fuel pump, remember that it is a dealer item and should be ordered and received BEFORE you remove the tank.

·
Mod/Multicar Member
149 Posts
you should be able to get an after market fuel pump at any parts store. i would call around and check before calling the dealer.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
Contrare, the fuel pump and fuel sending unit are all in the same assembly. Remember that this truck is fuel injected and there must be provision for a return line to the tank.

I've done this very repair and have researched the possibility of an after-market pump. It ain't gonna work. Ford gets about $170 (wholesale) for the replacement .

·
Mod/Multicar Member
149 Posts
i did an online search before posting my last reply. i checked autozone and napa auto parts.both places carry a fuel pump for jims truck.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
That's good news because one wasn't available last time I checked. I'm still suspicious that it will REALLY work however. Some suppliers will tell you that their part is applicable but sometimes they aren't.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Dude, I sell aftermarket fuel pumps everyday and I have yet for one to come back because it didn't fit.

You should be fine man.

·
F-250 Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I found the problem!

I started tracing the wiring back to the aux fuel tank. I started at the aux tank fuse and noticed it was crooked. I pulled the fuse to find that one of the socket tabs in the fuse socket was broken off! Only one side contacts the blade on the fuse!

So, off to the junkyard this morning to try to find another fuse block!

If I can't find one, i might disassemble my existing fuse block and put in a in-line fuse holder soldered to the remaining tab(s)....

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts