Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
just wondering if someone could give us some advice we are doing up an xb coupe and have bought a new rubber for the rear screen. when we put it in it doesnt want to sit flat it kicks out at the bottom have tried several times to take it out and put it back but still have the same problem. has anyone else had this trouble and any suggestions on how to fix it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
74xbcoupe said:
hi all
just wondering if someone could give us some advice we are doing up an xb coupe and have bought a new rubber for the rear screen. when we put it in it doesnt want to sit flat it kicks out at the bottom have tried several times to take it out and put it back but still have the same problem. has anyone else had this trouble and any suggestions on how to fix it.
had the same trouble with my xa when it was resprayed...the panel beaters had a bastard of a time with the new rubber (from gt ford performance).

I think the rubber was high quality...apparently its just a nasty job full stop. they eventually got it in and it hasnt leaked at at since.

How did they do it? No idea..sorry not much help

·
Registered
201 Posts
superbird302 said:
had the same trouble with my xa when it was resprayed...the panel beaters had a bastard of a time with the new rubber (from gt ford performance).

I think the rubber was high quality...apparently its just a nasty job full stop. they eventually got it in and it hasnt leaked at at since.

How did they do it? No idea..sorry not much help
one suggestion...give GT Ford Performance in Melbourne a call, i think my panel beaters rang them for advice. They are extremely helpful fellers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we spoke to ford performance today and they said maybe if rust was cut out the opening may have been smaller now but the panelbeater measured it on another coupe and it was the same maybe he will have to keep trying he has had it in and out 4 times already but it still kicks out at the bottom thanks anyway

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sometimes aftermarket rubbers need to be sliced.
Sounds butcherous??? it is a little....

Often the flange depth on the new rubber is not as deep. This can be window flange AND or Body side.

You may need to run a razor along the offending flange to allow things to settle in better.

It is only butcherous if it is not done neatly.

Jas

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had a couple done by a company in Narre Warren (Vic) called Elite Windscreens, they curse everytime I take a coupe there to have it done but they know what they are doing and get it done right. I have been told about the possibility of the shape being changed when a new panel is put in between the window and boot however if it has been measured and is correct then should be OK. Also I am told there is a difference with rubbers but not 100% on this, some say they all come from the same mould. I purchase mine from Bill Thompson Automotive Rubbers in Ringwood as I was told his are a better fit and too date no problems.

It is a bastard of a job and should be done by experienced people.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's the rubber. Most of the repo ones are slightly too big for the window. Have the same problem with mine. If the stainless trim is even slightly bent it was also make the window kick out even worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ya more than likely its the rubber it self .
Try getting one from FoMoCo in Victoria .
Ive heard that there rubber kits r realy good and fit excellent ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts