Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to replace the tires on my 89 Bronco. I was wondering some suggestions for a truck that sees off road every now and then, but not every day. Also 33 X 12.50 tires will work, right? With the be safe to use on the 15 X 8 wheels that I already have?

Thanks, Chris

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, 33x12.5 tires will fit on a 15x8 rim, but 15x10 rims would look better. They will kinda bow up in the middle on the narrow rims. I really like my Goodyear AT/S tires, they are as quiet as a regular street tire, but grip suprisingly (spelling?) well in the dirt and shallow mud (not deeper than the sidewalls of 32x11.5's). Since they have the two grooves running down the center, I believe they have better rain manners than BFG All-Terrains...

Jon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello
I have 33/10.50/15 BFG AT Ko's on my 89 Bronco. They rub on my sway bar, but so did my stock 31's when turned all the way left or right.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello
I have 33/10.50/15 BFG AT Ko's on my 89 Bronco. They rub on my sway bar, but so did my stock 31's when turned all the way left or right.

Jeff

·
Bronco Member
7 Posts
Tire Replacement

I am sure that the 32's will fit without a problem but I am a bit skeptical about whether or not 33's will work. I heard that 33's might rub without a lift. (don't quote me) But anyway, I have a recomendation about what kind of tire to put on. I work in a tire shop and I personally am not fond of the goodyear AT/S suggested by OLDBLUE18 even though I sell them. What I highly recommend is the Goodyear MTR. They are a really heavy tire with tripple ply sidewall for cactus, sagebrush, rocks or anything sharp. They look like they would be really loud and very rough. In reality, they are quiet and surprisingly smooth. They are not cheap and that is why I have BFGoodrich AT KO. Good luck.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have BFG A/T 32/11.50 and almost no matter how far i turn the wheel they rub....but i still have alot of height clearence just no width clearence. if you have the money to go big and getta lift, do the smart thing getta lift it will save you alot of trouble in the future...im getting one sometime....btw i have an 84'

·
Bronco Member
7 Posts
RUB?

You only have 32/11.50, and your tires rub???? What do they rub on? That does not sound right. And as far as lifts go, I do not like lifts for the reason that they screw with your suspention too much. If you absolutely needed a lift for off roading, then I might consider it. Are you wanting a lift for cosmetics or off road purpose? I do not fully agree with your statement that lifts save a lot of trouble. Don't get me wrong, lifts kick butt, but by no means save trouble in the future.

Brian

·
Bronco Member
7 Posts
Forgot something

An idea just hit me like a ton of bricks. The reason that your tires rub because of width would probably be that your wheels do not have the right off-set!!! You need wheels where the bolt holes are deeper in the wheel than the ones you have. That way they stick out past your fenders and will not rub. That is most likely why I do not have a rubbbing problem. Are you using the stock wheels? That just might be your problem.

Brian

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heh.. first off they do stick out a inch or two. and i dont have the stock wheels i got some new ones(forgot what size i could run downstairs and look but im too lazy) and yes they do rub both tires rub at the same time no matter which direction i turn... my sway bar almost looks crome now (it was black...) and about the lift....i know a guy who was too lazy to put a lift on but he really needed one (i think he had 33's) and everytime he turned it would take cunches outta his fiberglass body and everytime he went off road the top of the tires would go up threw the fiberglass and now his body looks like crap.. i was just saying if you had the money and needed a lift (or couse a suspesion lift) go for it......im getting one cuz the stupid front and rear axle is only about half a foot off the ground and for where i go thats not good....but who knows how much more clearence i can get..and off course and getting bigger tires..

·
Vintage F-100 Member
8 Posts
For 15x8 rims, the largest recommended tire is 32x11.5. For a 33x12.5 tire, the recommended rim minumim size is 15x8.5". This comes from the Tire and Rim Association Manual.

·
Bronco Member
7 Posts
Tires rub

I still have a hard time believing that they rub with 32's. That sucks! Like I said, I have no lift and I have 32's and they never rub. But I have wheels with an off-set that is very deep in the wheel. Maybe your off-set is not deep enough. Rims are made with all different depths of offsets. You might not have gotten the one that would have worked the best. And as far as lifts go, I am all for them if they are needed. Good luck with the rubbing problem. Hope you get it solved.

·
Bronco Member
40 Posts
I have a similiar Bronco unit, but my driving conditions are probably different than yours. I do a lot of road miles in Delaware, Penna., and New Jersey at the speed limit or slightly higher in all weather conditions. I have 15x10 rims and I use Goodyear, 31.5x15x10.5 all-weather tires. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts