Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we dont have many 3.0 members grouped up, but i have met quite a few over the last couple of months. try to get all of them posting in the lx section here so we can share ideas.

on PT i know vulcan has some good plans underway, i do, mirage does, and pizzaboy has some ideas he is planning too. Bufalo has done a million things, and i know im leaving people out.

recruit 3.0 members :)

·
TxPoc Moderator
84 Posts
I have MANY plans for the ole LX but I'd rather not share them,not because I'm a prick like that. Just that with college and all I might not get them all done(don't want that BS flag comming up on me now do I?) As upgrades are added I'll post pictures:thup:

~G~

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Aha Glance! Pulling the old Bufalo trick eh? He's got some secret stuff going on right now too. Wondering if it might be a supercharger, or maybe the Vulcan/SHO hybrid.

Boy, the possibilities for the 3.0L have tripled in the past year or so!

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i emailed a few people.. i want to male the lx board a happening place!

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Cool thanks Cali! I've been waiting FOREVER for this place to grow, -- I used to post to myself here. I'd check back in a week and I think I would have maybe 1 or 2 views of my post!

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
I'm quite experienced in car "stuff". My ultimate plans include an aggressive rebuild of the old 3.0... selective porting, and a supercharger.

I plan to build an engine supercharger combo that's capable of supporting around 15 pounds of boost. I've done it before on a suburban, and on a blazer... BUT those two vehicles have MUCH better aftermarket support.

My plans don't include working on the intake side of the engine nearly as much as the exhaust, engine internals I'm unsure about just yet... what I need is to acquire a spare 3.0 engine to play around with. Measure stuff and calculate tolerances under virtual loads...

Anyway I know I can do it but money is (like most of you) my biggest problem. For other people where money is not an issue... the job is easy.

Personal opinions on the matter I believe a centrifugal supercharger is the best way to go... surpassing both roots and turbo possibilities. The 3.0 stock makes most of it's power in the Lower RPMs the lag on a turbo would waste potential power in my opinion and the roots sucks air after the throttle body whereas I believe it is best to push it in. not only that but higher intake velocity develops more low end torque (why do you think GM developed the very successful vortech concept) and a roots system requires modifications that significantly slow the intake velocity.

I have in the past rebuilt a vulcan engine (on a ranger) but that project greatly pales in comparison to what I have in mind for my LX.

Questions are welcome, I hide nothing! Well almost ;)

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
So how far along are you on your project? When you plan on having it completed?

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
Well when I first got the car it barely ran, the trans was messed up, the brakes were pretty much non-existant, the interior was a mess, the rear passenger side was smashed up pretty bad etc...

Since I got it registered in august I have repaired most of those problems. I fixed the smashed up part of the car, though there is still some minor body work to be done. The car is at the moment mechanically perfect (though still in primarily stock form) with the exception of the right halfshaft. My project relies mostly on money. I am in currently working on a job at the GM tech center.. which should bring in some cash to fund my project. There is a 92 3.0 engine for sale in one of the yards here in Michigan for a couple hundred.. that's the engine I plan on rebuilding and eventually swapping into the car. When I swap the engines I'll pull the trans apart replace the synchros and weld the differential pin in place as well as inspect the internal components for wear. If I can get some of the trans internals coated I may, all depends on how much.

I'm going to use a stock type clutch (because of trans issues and a few other things) I don't know if it'll hold the kind of power I'm looking to make, in fact it probably won't, but I don't want to kill the trans in a shift.

I guess all of this is a good way to say I haven't got much done. I'm eager to get it done, but I need to wait for the money to come along. One of the biggest bits of my project is the supercharger. I was looking at the vortech supercharger line and they are quite expensive $1600 and up... if I could manage that a huge chunk of the work will be done in terms of funding, but I find it a bit difficult to justify putting that much money in to one thing. I'm almost tempted to go against my better judgement and buy a garrett T3 for $450 and work out turbo piping, but there again I have problems because this engine doesn't need anymore exhaust restrictions especially under boost!

Hopefully I can find an appropriate supercharger for less, but I really believe that for what I want a centrifugal supercharger is the way to go! Not the roots and not a turbo so I might just have to bite the bullet and hope that no one comes along and destroys my car a few weeks after I build it. I guess when it all comes down to it... I have another car that I could sell... but it's a probe too and I don't want to... we'll see

·
TxPoc Moderator
84 Posts
I'm not doing anything THAT drastic I'm in the process of making a hybrid of a newer vulcan and a sho,they are going to make a beautiful baby = )

~G~

·
TxPoc Moderator
84 Posts
Update: I just got off the phone with a company that sells engines down here in Huston. They quoted me about 1k for the newer 3.0 engine out of a '97.Now is the newer 3.0 a twin cam or is it the duratec that I'm thinking about?

~G~

·
Probe Member
104 Posts
well it seems we 3.0s will be bonding in here, well since my car is dead i might as well tell you that i will fix it and upgrade it as much as possible vulcan/sho hybrid for sure and some other top secret :D stuff, as far as the supercharger i have finally decided to make it happen in my probe, now what im waiting its a response from z engineering to find out the dimensions of their superchargers and if they are small enough (i hope),so the main modifications that we will need would be to replace the overflow reservoir that is behind the passanger headlamp thats where the supercharger would be placed i was thinking of a vortech supercharger too but that thing needs oil lines just like a turbo which would make it run hot and less efficient but it can be done too, well worst case scenario with the z engineering supercharger is that we might need to remove the headlamp assembly and doit supra style or get a small hood scoop on top of the supercharger in order to place it there.

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
So if you put the supercharger there... how do you keep the belt on it???

engines move front to back and side to side... keeping a belt there would be a nightmare!

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
BTW... Glance the newer 3.0 is NOT dual overhead cam it is single in block cam just like ours. The duratec and SHO are completely different engines.

I have heard people talk about the Sho crank and rods in a vulcan. Keep in mind guys... these guys are reffering to journal sizes and stuff and not actually fitment of the crank in the engine. The SHO rods are too small at the crank journal and will NOT fit on the vulcan crank so if you are looking for a simple fix to weak rods there is none. And as for the crank itself... The SHO is what? A DOHC engine. This entails timing drives (IE belt or chain) for overhead applications. What does this mean? It mean that there is no place to put the timing chain gear.. it means that the crank is probably too long... the least of your worries is trying to find pulley's to match up. If you are going to do a SHO do the whole motor.. and that's a pain in the rear... not to mention pocketbook, and if you want to run boost the SHO's compression is even higher than the vulcan, which mean a fairly major rebuild including lower compression pistons.

·
TxPoc Moderator
84 Posts
Well looks like I'm buying the '97 3.0 (155hp 185tq) and taking that to NADC with me as my "project" to do all the high perfomance modifications and fabricating and MAYBE working on the chassie.The joys of going to a High Performance Auto-Diesel College.I'm in no hurry to get this done and I wouldn't plan on it being done within the year note the "project" part. I like the idea of supercharging the engine but first off I plan to "beef" up the engine as much as possible. I'll keep ya'll posted.

~G~

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
please do. i thought of dropping that engine in too.

·
Probe LX Member
36 Posts
I've got a lot of plans for my Probe but I've kinda given up on talking about them. Basically I sorta agree with how Glance is approaching his future mods. Mostly I'm concentrating on performance but also on finishing up my stereo system.

·
Probe Member
104 Posts
well as for the supercharger yeah i have thought about the belt and the engine moving but im thinking of bolting the supercharger to the engine through some custom brakets so that way the supercharger moves with the engine the space will be just to have the supercharger there to avoid making a hole in the hood

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
Here was my thought about supercharger placement...

I perused the summit catalog and noticed an electric water pump. I was thinking of removing the Water pump and mounting the supercharger behind the engine!

The mere fact that the supercharger is hidden from sight is beautiful!!! I love it. But it's low in the engine bay which should help it to remain cool as well. I haven't worked out all of the details obviously.. but that was my plan.

Response please...?

·
Probe Member
104 Posts
damn i had not thought about it but its possible now that you sugested it, and since it already has the pulley and tensioner, oh man i think we just found a winner, now that i think of it yeah there is enough space to place a centrifugal supercharger there without the water pump

congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Ryan, thanks for mentioning that about the SHO rods and crank. But what about the pistons? They are exactly the same size so at least they should be able to drop in right? I may have a few leads already on high performance pistons for the 3.0L, but give me some time to gather up my information and resources.

Mike91gl I think is his name, he's spending 3000 dollars on a complete high performance rebuild from top to bottom for a 3.0L vulcan engine. he's going to drop that into his GL. He said that he went for the vulcan because the turbo was not the right engine for what he wanted to do. Also, he said that his engine will come out of the shop with 275 crank horsepower, so if he's seriously not lying about this, maybe we can get some information from him, or the shop that he took it to on what kind of pistons and rods they used.

I don't know why he doesnt come into here, but maybe I should invite him over so he can talk about it a little more... he seemed to pretty much know what he was talking about...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts