Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did 351 Clevelands come from the factory with red rocker covers?
Noticed this add.....
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=93514&current_rec=210&total_rec=361&sort_type=&make_id=6&search_distance=50&cylinder_num=8

Does anyone know if this is correct?

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Every factory 351 I've seen has had blue covers. Every factoy 302 I've seen has had red.

I've had both motors 302/351 in stock untouched forum.

Brenden

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My XB has the original 351. It has red rocker covers, and it appears that it always has. The engine had definately never been apart before I purchased it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soxx said:
Yes, both were early 70's Fairlanes with 2 barrel carbs.

Rick.
Thanks Rick for clarifying this for me. I have a 8/73 XA Fairmont, factory fitted 351 2v (2 barrel carb), and it has red rocker covers. All numbers match. It's done 38000 miles and the motor has never been out. I get tired of people saying that it is a 302 because of the red covers. Most, if not all pictures we see are of GTs or early model 351s with the blue rocker covers. Thanks again.

·
The Supreme Machine!
461 Posts
My rockercovers are orange on my XA 302.. They say Power by ford.

My dads ZG 302 2 barrel are orange aswell but just have the ford logo..No Power by ford.

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
XA_GT_351 said:

My dads ZG 302 2 barrel are orange aswell but just have the ford logo..No Power by ford.
pretty hard to get clevo rocker covers which say power by ford. plenty of windsor ones though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys, b4 i buy a "351" i always take out no.1 plug and using the dipstick i get the piston on tdc, slip the dipstick in the plug hole resting top of piston,mark it, rotate crank 180 then remark it, 3"=302, 3.5"=351, saves later dissapointment, which im sure most have been there.

Ive also had a XY 351 2v and an ZD 351 2v, both had blue rocker covers, both original factory fitted motors.

·
XA GS FAIRMONT 302
449 Posts
XA_GT_351 said:

mine say the same on my xa fairmont 302

·
The Supreme Machine!
461 Posts
I think all XA V8's say "Power by ford" but not all XB's may be only GT's

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
I had an xb gs 302 that had power by ford rocker covers on it, most of the clevos I've had have had it on them. I think the only one that didn't was my 351 xd.

·
socially irresponsible
1,194 Posts
i'd suggest "powered by ford" covers were imported motors and all early aussie clevos (2v)were red covers due to early xb gt's still getting imported 4v motors.

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
nak302 said:
i'd suggest "powered by ford" covers were imported motors and all early aussie clevos (2v)were red covers due to early xb gt's still getting imported 4v motors.
That sounds about right. The Big Port (4V) 4 Barrel import engines had POWER BY FORD on Blue Rocker Covers (early XB GTs), the Small Port (2V) 4 Barrel Engines had Blue FORD Rocker Covers (late XB GTs and all XB GT Autos).

The Orange / Red ones were Small Port (2V) 2 Barrel engines that went into regular Falcons and Fairlanes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also to add my dad's Zf Fairlane had red(orange) powered by ford (302) Clevo. Had them paint striped & powdered coated in blue looks magic.

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
my xd had the black/silver motor (was an xe motor)... all our other v8 have had red rocker covers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts