Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I annoyed anyone with my poor knowledge on mechanics but I have a question about redback exhausts.... I got one of my mates dad to order me a 2.5inch which I asked for a straight through because I am young and want a LOUDER system.... I got the system today and I was just wondering before I put it on if its going to be what I want..... because it seems to be the same as my old exhaust just with the mufflers spaced apart a little further down the pipe.... just wondering what peoples experiences are like with the twin muffler setup.... its a STR211 if that helps with anything.

·
If Only I Had Lexus Power
827 Posts
was your old exhaust a standard 2.25" system. The redback systems are one of the more popular ones in S.A, therefore they must sound half decent. Is the system is a Resy ---Muffler-----Resy or is it diffrent ??. If its not on your car and you shine a torch down in the opposite direction of flow is there a dogleg or does it look straight through. im assuming its an O/Offset 10x4 F.G.P. Perf Tube S/Through with a dogleg

IT's what Inside that counts -- If sure itl be fine. It will not be the loudest system you will hear but it will give an Very notacable note , and it probably wont drone. Saying this im not taking resonsability if you do fit it and dont like it

·
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh thanks for such a quick reply :)..... umm I just had a look down the first muffler and thats got stuff in it that seems to go straight... no dog leg... but I was told it wasnt a straight through muffler by another person.... I cant see down the second one its positioned about 30-40cm down from the tip of the exhaust.... I want it to be noticeable and a drone doesnt seem to bother me to much... thats what music is for.... I think I might try it out this weekend and just hope it does sound good.... They couldnt possibly have given me a 2.5inch with the standard ford mufflers on it and called it a sports exhaust....

·
If Only I Had Lexus Power
827 Posts
Ok first off The Redback system is not an original ford muffler its completley diffrent. Like i said its whats on the inside that counts. Although it may look similar

To make it easy follow this link and you will hear approximatley what your car will sound like on an EB (although this is a walker/Lukey link)

http://www.lukey.com.au/default.asp?pageid=GROWLSOUND&template=GROWLSOUND&catid=42

also the STR in the product code would also possibly indicate it is straight through
(they like to make easy for people)

·
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh so it would.... goes to show what VCE has done for me... I'll chuck it on this weekend and let ya know how it goes anyways.... them sound files sound awesome to.... I got this redback 2.5 inch for $150 so I cant really be pissed if its dodgy (although 150 is a fortune for me)

·
XR Driver
184 Posts
I got 1 with no resinators it sounds real good the dash vibrates a lil when it hits 2800 - 3000 rpm but im yung so its all good

·
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I put mine on yesterday and it sounds really really shit.... sounds good at 1000-1500rpm then at 2500 and cant hear it after that but I got a slight hole in my cat thats letting out a bit of pressure might need to weld it up and see how that sounds but I recon cutting the back resinator or muffler out will give it the note I want...... thing is 50% of the exhaust pressure seems to be coming out this little hole before it even hits my new exhaust...

·
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put some muffler buddy over it but it still doesnt really have a much better not..... seemed to get slightly better as the day went on..... its half decent now but is still a bit soft for my liking..... people say that theirs sounds good at 4000rpm..... at that rpm all I hear is my engine reving theirs not really a note their.... I'm not sure if I still got a hole up near the manifold or what..... Does a hollow cat make a lot of noise that you can hear pretty easily???? somethings not right I know that much :S

·
Registered
847 Posts
Get rid of the resonator and get a hotdog instead they flow better and dont stop quite so much of that lovely sound your after.

·
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I might..... should I buy another tailpipe or just cut the one off the pipe I got now??? I took the tailpipe totally off and just ran it through the straight through muffler and it sounded nuts..... only a little to nuts.... would annoy me after around 2 hours of driving it......

·
now with EF power!
891 Posts
They take a few days to bed in.

Mine took just under a week but after then DAMN!!!

It sounds tough!!!!

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
i got one... theyre a good unit.. sell alot around my area!!! they take a lil while to show off theyre true note! good things come to those who are patient

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
yes my system took a week to bed in, at first i was dissapointed as the note was too quiet, but now its awesome!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mine sounded so good from day one and just got better and better.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
yeah they do take a while to burn in, same happened to mine - when i first heard it idling i though 'sh!t yeah, thats bloody tough!' but then when i drove it it sounded a bit nasal....i wasnt happy, but i thrashed it for a few days and then loved it, but the bloody tip went gold coloured from heat, so it was only chrome for like a few hours :(

that was with a single straight through muffler on a 2.5" system, which when measured by the lovely gentlemen at pineapple st gave out about one hundred and something decibels at a constant 3350rpm - which was like 4 times louder than legal, so i had to get another muffler (still straight through) which made it within 2db of being legal, so i cheated with some steel wool, got it measured, then removed.

its quiet at cruise, but when you are up it it sounds great :s6:

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
Hi, I dont know much about exhausts in general but i got a redback system 2.5" with 1 muffler on my wagon. It is fairly loud especially at 2000rpm+ which makes it kinda annoying on highway travel. But once the engine gets spinning, the power comes on strong (when i got the fuel pressure up :/)

Brent

·
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I am back to my standard exhaust now still not worn in..... insurance.... gotta love it

I am gonna buy another tailpipe with no reasonator on it.... so I can switch between reasonator and no reasonator.... because with the single straight through muffler it turns everyones head, but annoys the shit through ya at the same time.... I ran it without a tailpipe for a couple of days hehe :).....

overall i'd say for $150 its a pretty good system.... didnt notice any power gains.... it seemed to redline a little easier with it on. That might have been that the tires are getting balder....

·
Registered
175 Posts
$150? Does anyone know a good exhaust place in Canberra that can do me a sweet sounding exhaust for under 250ish ? It's for an XF ute (250 carb)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts