Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1972 XA GS Fairmont
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking, would a redline intake manifold for say a 2 or 4 barrel Holley fit on a 2v head out of an XY or XA? These manifolds would have to be better than the original 2v manifold. Would the ports all match up?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't think they make one. Cain might have made one. Maybe you should look at getting a 2V manifold reamed right out.

·
1972 XA GS Fairmont
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I no Redline dont make one for the 2v's. I was thinking using a crossflow one, the manifold would sit on the other side of the head but would the ports match up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good to see i'm not the only one who's been wondering if the crossflow manifolds would fit. The triple webber or 4 barrel one look's like it would make the old six go. What have you done to your XA 2V motor?

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
XA Fairmont said:
I no Redline dont make one for the 2v's. I was thinking using a crossflow one, the manifold would sit on the other side of the head but would the ports match up?
I dont understand what your trying to do when you say the manifold would be on the other side of the head?.
And there aint nothing wrong with the original manifold that come's with the 2V head,the port's are huge.

·
1972 XA GS Fairmont
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have the 2v head yet, im still looking around but first im lowering the XA. I was just gona bolt on a 350 Holley, port & polished 2v head with oversized valves, Crow cam and extractors exhaust (which ive alreday got and it sounds great) I understand im going to have to get new extractors when i get the 2v head. When im saying the maniflod would be on the other side of the head its because its not crossflow, as with the crossflow the intake is on the others side, correct me if im wrong because im only going from memory i got rid of the crossflow XF. When i get a 2v head i think ill get a intake maniflod of a crossflow and c if the ports match up. Imagine a tripled webered 250 2v! :)

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
I think there was a triple Weber manifold for the 2v head. I'd have to check an old Street Machine Hot 6's mag at my parents place though. Doesn't really help though as you'd still have to find one if they do exist, and they'd have to be only slightly more plentiful than hen's teeth!

I take it you don't want a crossflow head in the XA...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
There are adapters to fit Holley on that manifold. Better to do some machining to allow good flow.. Imo I would fit a Webber from an XF etc...

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
XA Fairmont said:
I dont have the 2v head yet, im still looking around but first im lowering the XA. I was just gona bolt on a 350 Holley, port & polished 2v head with oversized valves, Crow cam and extractors exhaust (which ive alreday got and it sounds great) I understand im going to have to get new extractors when i get the 2v head. When im saying the maniflod would be on the other side of the head its because its not crossflow, as with the crossflow the intake is on the others side, correct me if im wrong because im only going from memory i got rid of the crossflow XF. When i get a 2v head i think ill get a intake maniflod of a crossflow and c if the ports match up. Imagine a tripled webered 250 2v! :)
Have you ever seen the port's and valve's on a 2V head,all they need is a good clean up, they are allready HUGE.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
I personally think the standard manifold would be ok,especially for the street,just need's a clean up,there isn't a lot of aftermarket manifold's out there for these head's but like I said the original is fine for the cost of them compared to other's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2V head ready to go onto my bored out 221 in my XP. It has the standard manifold and two barrel carb. Should I get the standard 2 barrel rebuilt or can I fit a larger holley in its place (if so what size, 350 or there a better option)? Antoher quick question, are extractors for a normal pre crossflow head different to the 2V or can the same be used for both?

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
HSV.ETA said:
I have a 2V head ready to go onto my bored out 221 in my XP. It has the standard manifold and two barrel carb. Should I get the standard 2 barrel rebuilt or can I fit a larger holley in its place (if so what size, 350 or there a better option)? Antoher quick question, are extractors for a normal pre crossflow head different to the 2V or can the same be used for both?
I'd stay clear of the Holley,IMO,your better of with either the original 2brl stromy or a webber if you can, the holley's are too tempramentle and a prick to set up,but if you do decide to go the Holley you wouldn't want to go any bigger than 350,now the extractor's seem the same to me, some say that the middle of the extractor's where the two(pipe's) are together it is different but I have Perry extractor's on my 221 and I also have the extractor's of a 2V head and they seem the same to me, Identical,
how far have you bored out your 221,have you changed the compression at all,as these head's were designed for the 250 not the 221,

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 221 has 40 thous oversided pistons and I'm unsure about the 2V head or the compression ratio. The head was done up before I bought it and is still in my shed wraped up in grease, so I would assume the face has been cleaned up but I don't know by how much? What should I be looking at to make the 2v work with my bottom end?

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Well that I am about to find out as well, soon I will be putting the 2V head on my 221 but I have heard that the 250 and 221 were a little different in the head area and if you put the 2V head on a 221 you have to change the compresion, etc, but I'm not 100% sure, I'm yet to check this all out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have seen quite a few 2V heads on 221's in early falcons because up here in queensland a 221 was the biggest engine you could fit to an early falcon without changing brakes and other stuff a while back. I might do a few things with the standard headed engine first and see how it goes, then change the head later.

·
oh no! I've gone ford mad
134 Posts
I had a plate made up to fit a 390 4bbl onto the standard 2V manifold.... the original 2 barrel part was cuot off and opened up to take the plate... it worked reallt well... very smooth part throttle because of the small primaries... and worked very well up to as well.... I would highly recommend it over a 350 holley... dunnno about the webber though.

Craig

1 - 20 of 25 Posts