Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Thailand and put a deposit on a 68 Thunderbird Fordor. The car is mostly original and in good condition except for a little rust under the vinyl and some trim pieces are a bit ratty.
The problem I have having is that the previous owner left the original engine in but change the registration to show that there is a smaller Toyota engine in the car. The reason being annual tax is proportionate to engine size and the tax on the 429 is a lot. I won't buy the car until the registration book is clean with the correct engine in it. I am not sure exactly what is going on with it at the Land Transport Office but now they are asking for a letter from the factory verifying that the car with that VIN was originally built with with the 429 that is in it now. I know that information can be found in the VIN and engine number but they need a letter.
The Wixom factory is now closed and I don't know if and records that old are still around. Hopefully I can find a Ford employee that can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,053 Posts
I think the car is now too old for you to get something from Ford to verify that. Does Land Transport have access to the information on the registration prior to it being changed to the Toyota engine. If they still have that on file then it could show the numbers of the engine you currently have and would then verify it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seller said he had the original book but now I am not sure. It really shouldn't even be an issue since the engine number matches the VIN, but this is a government office and logic would be too easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts