Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about buying a 93-97 probe, but is it a reliable car? How much $ have people been spending on it yearly, approximately? Any major complaints?

Also, if i get one, i was definitely considering some 17/18 inch wheels and kitting it out. I can't find too many places that cell kits... any suggestions? I don't really like the erebuni one all that much... but some on the "probeology" page are awesome. Any sites or numbers for ordering catalogs would be appreciated.

Tx,
Justin

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well, youre asking how reliable the car is...Probes tend to have some common problems such as clicking sounds as you turn, and part failure. 17 or 18 inch rims should work. Stock size is a bit smaller. As for kits, most companies dont make too many...alot of people custom make them.

Also, since youre from back east, be careful of rust. Thats one thing you want to avoid at all costs, in any used car.

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
Make sure if you get rims theyre either 5x114.3 or 5x4.5 or they definately wont fit....

As far as me, Ive never had a problem with my car... Some people just have bad luck. Probably the worst thing that Ive had actually go wrong with this one is the clutch pedal squeeks (I know, I need to oil it) and I had to replace the battery.
Cars do have problems eventually. Things wear out, and things break. I dont know if Ive just been lucky or my car was put together really good.

Oh, By the way...
If your interested Im selling my 97 Probe. I think it was one of the very last ones made (Jun of 97). The car is practically perfect. Has maybe 52k miles. Click the link in my sig if interested and PM/Email me....

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Dude, even though most of this is true, I'm not going to feed you a sack of crap......

If you are looking for a really reliable car, move on. Probes are nice and all, but when they break down, they are/can be very expensive to fix......

Im not saying it's bad car or anything, but it does tend to have a bad rap with alot of people.

Persoanlly, I have put lots of money in mine, but I still Love her the same!

·
Registered
165 Posts
yeah im with him. i too have put about 3000 into her(tranny-tranny pump, rear main seal, ac compressor, alt, all gaskets-filters-senors) but all in all i can not kill her. i mean she will not die even with a o/d light. i trust my car fully and with out a doubt in my mind know she will run everytime i start her. but also some people do have bad luck(generally if a car has 100,000 plus mileseverything has been done)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm. In general, i'm a do it myselfer, unless it's something major like the transmission or clutch or engine seals... I can deal with annoying stupidities, but am i gonna have to blow 1000 every year just to keep it running smoothly because i have to take it to a mechanic? I definitely can't afford the time or the money for something like that...

·
Forgotten
65 Posts
puhlode said:
Hmmmm. In general, i'm a do it myselfer, unless it's something major like the transmission or clutch or engine seals... I can deal with annoying stupidities, but am i gonna have to blow 1000 every year just to keep it running smoothly because i have to take it to a mechanic? I definitely can't afford the time or the money for something like that...

I'm on my second 2nd Gen Probe, and I haven't spent $1000 on repairs between the two yet.

The big things I would look out for on them are valve ticking & bad automatic transmissions. Those will kill your wallet.

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
#1 rule of owning/buying a car
If you have abused it or someone else has, itll be a POS. End of story. I hardly ever have problems with my cars because I take care of them.
OK, some people may have lemons, but hey, what brand of car never puts out a few lemons?
Maybe Im just lucky...

·
Champ
40 Posts
The only things that have broken are things I've fooled with.:s5

I love my car.

·
TEAM URBAN ASSAULT
45 Posts
Edited by Nylie: please contact the admins about advertising on the site. Thank you.

·
Probe GT Member
11 Posts
Why pick on the poor old atx?

Hey, there's nothing wrong with ATXs in general. I've got 114300 on mine right now with very nice firm shifts. I think you can run into tranny problems in whatever car you buy; like it's been said, depends upon the maintenance/abuse level you put on the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts