Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

I just bought a new Momo gear knob for my manual BA

Unfortunately I can't get the standard one off.

Is there a trick or a certain way to removing it?

Surely the standard knob just unscrews. I've nearly broken my hand trying to unscrew it. I've also tried a pair of multi grips but it won't budge.

Am I just limp wristed or is there a certain proceedure to removing it?
 

·
Crikey
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
H'mmm limp wristed nah? you just need to increase the camenbert intake.

You would think it would screw off Jamie, could there be a grub screw somewhere difficult to see. Alternatively ring the dealer service department and ask the question. Good luck.
 

·
3FB's Peter Pan!!!
Joined
·
777 Posts
Im pretty sure that theres no screw as I have one of the ba knobs fitted to my AU. The problem may be that it could be loctite'd on or something like that because as I remember mine was pretty hard to take off the first time as well. Hope this helps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
They are glued on. I would remove the whole stick and put it in a vice, as the effort required to remove it may damage the shifter.
 

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blurter said:
H'mmm limp wristed nah? you just need to increase the camenbert intake.
LOL, I took the girlfriend to there the other day. I was telling her about that night, she thought it was a great laugh!

I was talking to a guy from Ford. WBT56 is right, they are glued on. He was saying that their mechanics use vice grips covered with a rag.

I tried the same thing again today and finally got it off. The only problem was that I pretty much destroyed the original knob.

So it looks like the Momo one stays with the car when I evenually sell it.

I'm glad I paid the money though, it feels better in the hand than the standard gear knob, but then, it had want to for the price I paid!
 

·
Black 200kw wheel barrow
Joined
·
3,554 Posts
Jamie XR6 said:
I'm glad I paid the money though, it feels better in the hand than the standard gear knob, but then, it had want to for the price I paid!

are you saying the standard XR gear knob doesnt feel good?

i really like the look of it and was gonna get it when i get the AU ute to replace the standard one



oh and being in the navy would give you strong wrists wouldnt it?? :angel:
 

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FalKeen said:
are you saying the standard XR gear knob doesnt feel good?

i really like the look of it and was gonna get it when i get the AU ute to replace the standard one



oh and being in the navy would give you strong wrists wouldnt it?? :angel:
I didn't like it, after the Momo knob in the AU, the standard BA gear knob felt to tall and narrow. Kind of like what gives us Sailors strong wrists! LOL
 

·
Black 200kw wheel barrow
Joined
·
3,554 Posts
Jamie XR6 said:
I didn't like it, after the Momo knob in the AU, the standard BA gear knob felt to tall and narrow. Kind of like what gives us Sailors strong wrists! LOL

bahaha actually laughing out loud here!

yeah actually from thinking about it i could see how it could feel tall and narrow



the knob that is



gear knob



on the car
 

·
Black 200kw wheel barrow
Joined
·
3,554 Posts
although now that i think about it it sort of depends on how you hold it when changing gears

i tend to hold it on the side when changing

where others would hold it on the top, where it would feel tall and narrow


(still talking about the knob here..gear knob)
 

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FalKeen said:
although now that i think about it it sort of depends on how you hold it when changing gears

i tend to hold it on the side when changing

where others would hold it on the top, where it would feel tall and narrow


(still talking about the knob here..gear knob)
Well I hold it at the top while driving and at the side when at sea!
 

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blurter said:
Are you two boys having a good time? :fluffy:
Well the only reason I bought the Turbo was because his was bigger than mine :AAHHH:
 

·
walking power
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up again but i was just wondering does any aftermarket momo knob fit or do you have to buy the Ford one?? Buy the looks of the Ford standard and momo knobs it seems to have a collar of some sort at the bottom is that part of the boot or the knob itself??
 

·
BA XR8
Joined
·
448 Posts
Multigrips for your knob! :AAHHH: :wnc:

Ok um.. I have no other silly comment to make. Heee!
 

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fordy said:
Sorry to bring this back up again but i was just wondering does any aftermarket momo knob fit or do you have to buy the Ford one?? Buy the looks of the Ford standard and momo knobs it seems to have a collar of some sort at the bottom is that part of the boot or the knob itself??
The collar screws into the bottom of the gear knob. It comes with the Momo knob from Ford.

I can't see why the aftermarket knob would be any different to the Ford one. If you are going to buy it and an auto shop, just ask if you can try it on the car before you buy it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top