Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about doing this, but a bit worried about the paint on the bonnet coming out worse off.

Anyone done it and had any problems with the paint?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I pulled the lining out of me EA Ghia, paint is fine, just gest dirty from general engine oil/dirt etc being thrown up by the fans, and driving through puddles and rain :0)

The top side of the bonnet does not get affected, my EA has not got worse, paint not the best to start with, but XF in snow gum (good paint) didnt fade, crack warp or rust and ran it like that for 6 years :0)

Bonnet gets really hot though the XF used to have steam pouring of it when it rained, the EA doesnt seem to do it though, but the bonnet feels hotter (weird :fraz: )

Polish and clean reguarly is the only way to go, and remeber you can alway put it back.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
No dramas mate.. The ELXR8's dont come with it ..

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright next problem, there's this yellow sealant stuff (though it's been painted to match the car) around the frame of the bonnet, what the hell does it do?

Most of it is chipping/chipped off, just use some no more gaps in it's place?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joining stuff I've just been told, spose I better replace it before I get a rattle going on.

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Well my mum removed the bonnet lining long before I got the car and after an overheating exercise the bonnet is now cracked perfectly in the area above the rocker cover. Looks like s**t.

The lining is back now but too little too late. Just my 2c..

Dan...

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
i'd keep the lining, imho it looks better and would keep the engine bay cooler when the sun is beaming on it on those mid 40 degree days ;)

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too late now, went last night and the garbos took it this morning. Maybe Ben has it lol

·
EF & ZH owner
620 Posts
when I put my new induction pipe on it was burning the lining, so i ripped it off and ive had no problems at all..

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's fixed the clearance issues I had with my battery terminals.

·
Damage Fixxer
181 Posts
heaps of stuff under bonnets just clears the bonnet pad by about 5 mm. Base model cars dont come out with bonnet pads because they are poverty packs.

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Just don't sit on the bonnet above the battery... Might cause a short... Mine used to arc out on the bonnet sometimes so I whacked it back on...

Dan..

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TIKFD6 said:
How'd you fix the battery clearance issues?
Mine has worn a hole straight through the lining.
Took the lining off, doesn't touch now.

Later next week I'll be replacing the leads, I'll turn the batter around and that should make it even better.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Axeman82 said:
Just don't sit on the bonnet above the battery... Might cause a short... Mine used to arc out on the bonnet sometimes so I whacked it back on...

Dan..
That's why there's those rubber things over the terminals.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Rubber things what rubber things, they are long gone on most EA's by now :0)

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well my old battery didn't rub, only the new one does, must be a height thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts