Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AU XR6 and cannot remove the rear discs, and yes I have removed the caliper and the philips head screw. Tried tappnig on the centre of the disc to brake any rust but to no avail. I do not want to hit the disc to hard as it will probably break knowing my luck. It is not the park brake holding it as it is fully released.
Any ideas, cause I'm getting angry now

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Will the rotor/disc spin?
BTW I just did my fronts this morning (DBA cross drilled & slotted) and will do the rears early next week so any advice would be great!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears the disc is rusted on to the spigot, I tried a large screw driver as a crow bar but the disc was bending. May have too try a proper puller. When I do get them off, I will put a thin layer of high temp grease on to make it easier next time.
I was under the impression the rear discs on the AU were easy to do, Murphy and his horrible laws are playing funny games with me again

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
all you have to do is get a hammer and hit the disc - not the braking surface but the bit where the wheel touches it when its bolted up, in between the wheel studs. DO NOT HIT THE STUDS!

hit it smartly and firmly, letting the hammer bounce back so the disc can too.

go around the whole disc, in between each stud, and it should come off in about 5 seconds, hit it harder if it doesnt.

it will NOT break the disc, trust me.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
sorry man... just got this image of you beating sh!t out of a Holden rear end with a 5 pound lump hammer...

damn apprentice mechanics!

maybe i need sleep...

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
riiiight :p

i was actually meaning to hit it with a medium size ball-pein hammer, with the flat side not the ball side...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will give the bashing technique a go this weekend
I am surprised that they do not have any threaded holes in the disc hubs so that they can be jacked off with bolts.

·
ESP Man
888 Posts
Yes they tend to rust to the axle end and can be very stubborn. Rollins' technique should work but if still no luck use a piece of wood about two inches square and a foot long from behind the rotor with a bloody big hammer to drive it off. Rotate the disk as you go to work your way around and it will gradually come away. A bit of WD40 around the centre of the rotor helps too.

Clean up the handbrake shoes but don't adjust them up too far or you get the squealing when going slow.
Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts