Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some info on camshafts, I want some more power from my 4.1 EFI and I am not sure who would sell them, I gather places like Crow Cams would have them.

Does anyone know if you can get a mild cam for a 4.1 EFI?.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know about a mild cam but you would be better off going to a cam that is the next step up from stock. The vane flap in the air box can be adjusted to compensate for the slight increase in air flow but if you go to far with the cam you'll never get the beast to idle or accelerate smoothly.

·
ST170ish
610 Posts

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Have a look at http://www.crowcams.com.au for their cam lists and specs. Not sure if they have prices, but I got a price for a 4.1 cam a few months back and I think it was about A$270 - $290. You'll also need a new set of lifters at unknown price or have yours reground at maybe $2 each. Plus maybe new cam bearings.

4.1 EFI stock cam is already better than stock carby cam. I think Crow have specs for it on their list.

Exhaust side of 4.1 isn't as good as intake side - might be worth looking into fitting extractors and better exhaust system first if it hasn't already been done.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I do have a different exhaust and have fitted extractors but I just wanted a little bit more power.

Maybe I should just buy a V8.:D :D

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Adam W said:
Maybe I should just buy a V8.:D :D
It took you this long to realise........ :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you recede into your previous outlook of straight engines missing two cylinders, Crow Cams never let me down. But one thing - use a new quality timing chain and throw your old lifters as far as possible. Use only new lifters as these are a weak point. You don't want to have to pull the head off again for the sake of a dodgy worn lifter.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
......., Crow Cams never let me down.....
You're lucky Pete. I had a bad run with a couple of Crow Cams when I first "hotted up" my GT. The first one, which was all professionally installed and such, stripped a couple of lobes while I was still running it in. After Crow came to the party and ONLY paid for half a replacement, I was running again. Same cam specs as B4 which were "worked out" by a crow guy at the nats.
Come Dyno time and the HP wasn't there. (only 175kw at the wheels flat out).. So the guy who was at the dyno joint, Greg Waddington(Bendigo) sat down with the flow sheets of my heads and worked out a dual profile cam to best suit the car.This was a Wade cam, and the difference was unbelievable!! From just a cam change I gained more than 100HP at the wheels.
You can get what you want out of this blurb of mine, be it don't go for a catalogue cam and get a custom cam to suit your engine or Crow is crap and Wade is good. Or maybe nothing and I'm just waffling.
Russell.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Funny - I had a Wade cam for my 277 Hemi and the engine lost oil pressure 7 times (7 rebuilds) due to cam bearings chewing out after startup. Eventually chased it down to Wade forgetting to grind ramps into the lobes (it was a solid lifter cam). That was when I changed to Crow.

Bloody inconsistency - makes saying anything hard!

Having said that, Wade has a very good name.

T

·
0 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Funny - I had a Wade cam for my 277 Hemi and the engine lost oil pressure 7 times (7 rebuilds) due to cam bearings chewing out after startup. Eventually chased it down to Wade forgetting to grind ramps into the lobes (it was a solid lifter cam). That was when I changed to Crow.
pete bet me to it.
new lifters need to be ground to accept new camshaft. if the job is done correctly the lifter should rotate in the lifter bore. if not they will chew the **** out of everything in there path, hence rebuild after rebuild.

G

·
0 Posts
rolfy72 said:
Are the prices on this site in aussie dollar's?
Yep they are in Victoria.
I have bought parts from them and they are reasonable in price.

Take about a week for delivery if your a slack bastard like me and don't like running around. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts