Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

Ive been recently toying with the idea of putting a dash with a tacho in my eb rather than one of those aftermarket rediculously priced tachos.

What are my options ie. xr dash, fairmont etc. and whats an average price on one.

cheers..

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
OblitzO said:
Hey.

Ive been recently toying with the idea of putting a dash with a tacho in my eb rather than one of those aftermarket rediculously priced tachos.

What are my options ie. xr dash, fairmont etc. and whats an average price on one.

cheers..
they can vary, XR and Fairmont (ED) are teh same

oh, and can people say Dash for Dashboard and Cluster for teh instrument cluster

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
This is a very easy and worthwhile mod. Being an EB, you will want a cluster from an XR. Make sure you get an oil pressure sender to go with the new cluster as well, otherwise your oil pressure gauge will be off the dial. Do a search on the forums for a topic to do with changing the instrument cluster to an S pack/XR one and you will find a wealth of information on the topic. I know I've typed out a how to guide somewhere on the forums.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Ash

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
OblitzO said:
Hey.

cheers..
depends where you are if your in melbourne - jolly rogers auto parts recyclers - had a eb spac dash going for $65 when i was getting my garnish and lights from it

and personally i'd rather put the aftermarket tacho with a shift light for optimal gear change - but thats if i had a manual. i'm stuck with a 3spd & cfi so there is no point getting it for me until i change the above to 5spd & mpfi

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
I got quoted many times $140+ about six months ago from all the wreckers I visited/phoned.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Yeah, I got quoted $150 the other day, bugger that!

Is there an easy and cheap way to get NF/NL/DF/DL needles (the white ones) without lashing out and getting the whole cluster?

Can't imagine much of a resale value for a cluster without needles :S

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Yeh EA/EB/ED Fairmont/Spak/XR6 clusters are worth about $150 with oil sender, I find.
Or you might find a whole interior including cluster for $3-500, if you wanted to get away from the VERY ordinary stock trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im in w.a. Might ring a few wreckers and see if i can get a price on a dash. If its to much i might just buy a cheapo aftermarket tacho.

Another question about the instrument clusters. Do they all come with the check abs light?? Cause i paid a bit more attention to mine yesterday and noticed it yet my car doesnt have abs.

·
GUN.40L
407 Posts
yup my old ea fairmont had a "check abs" light although had masking tape covering the back part of it where the light globe goes in so i assume they all have it... dont ask me why it had it in the ea even though abs wasnt even offered in that model, and im sure its the genuine dash cause it had that yellow sticker on it with the date and it matched up to the cars details. im guessing the hefty price of 150 is cause of the oil sender. and i knwo for a fact these wreckers jsut say any price casue the guy i usually go to is cheap as anything, less then half then the people next door! il lgive ya an example, i got an eb rear garnish, and two lights all genuine second hand parts for 100 buks!! and thats with the lot! i was told 90 buks per light at the guy next door... :-S

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Shit that is expensive, I bought one 2 years ago off these forums from SPHELL for 20 bucks inc the oil sender.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Hehe you did well DansEdgli :)
OblitzO - If you can't find a cheaper one, I have an EA S-pak dash going for about $100 (with sender). Do you need the Smartlock light?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
BOSXR8 said:
i got an eb rear garnish, and two lights all genuine second hand parts for 100 buks!! and thats with the lot! i was told 90 buks per light at the guy next door... :-S
Are you in Melb? I hope so, cos I need a set of tail lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nah i dont need the smartlock light. Ill get back to ya after ive rang around a bit.

Does anyone have or know of a site with a pic of a ea spac dash??

cheers.

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
mad_ea_spac said:
depends where you are if your in melbourne - jolly rogers auto parts recyclers - had a eb spac dash going for $65 when i was getting my garnish and lights from it
um i think you were looking at the board price. all the EA onwards stuff cost more it has written on the window not board price.

i will sell you mine for $70 with oil pressure sender unit, fitted. its an EA SII spac one. are you in melbourne?

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
psycho chicken said:
Yeah, I got quoted $150 the other day, bugger that!

Is there an easy and cheap way to get NF/NL/DF/DL needles (the white ones) without lashing out and getting the whole cluster?

Can't imagine much of a resale value for a cluster without needles :S
i already tried this idea with the the clear EF needles and they wont fit an EA-ED cluster as the hole in the EF ones are to big and the shaft is not long enough.

as for a pic of my cluster i cant get one sorry but it has very good perspex and the needles are only a few shades faded. but dont know if i want to send to perth. are you sure you cant find nothing over there for a reasonable price? if not PM me and maybe we can work something out.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Hmmmmm wonder if it's practical to paint them?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Don't see why not....
Apparently there's some place that does stickers to colour the dash face, NFI where though :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts