Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Probe Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I tried to start my car and nothing happened. Well, I knew it wasn't the battery or anythign like that that I could fix, so I had it towed to the local Lentz and they inspected and told me the starter was fine and it had to be electrical, something they weren't licensed to do.

They towed it to a recommended local shop, the inspected it telling me it was the starter and it had to be replaced. The cost would be nearly $400!!!

Just wondering if this sounds about right. After asking some questions, I was told most of the money goes into labor costs because of the location of the Probe's Starter. If anyone could give me any other info, please, I need this ASAP

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
Probably the best thing to do would be to locate a Ford Service manual for your Probe (not too easy to come by). It more thoroughly explains how to do these things in full detail and better than a Chiltons or Haynes manual in my opinion. I have one but it would be kind of hard for me to type out all the instructions since alot is pics in there...

·
Probe Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just told them to fix the stupid thing.....

It'll be done tomorrow and I'll have my car back. Its hard to do any repairs myself... At college and don't really have a garage or tools to work with :(

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
freedom

jbr12 said:
Well, I just told them to fix the stupid thing.....

It'll be done tomorrow and I'll have my car back. Its hard to do any repairs myself... At college and don't really have a garage or tools to work with :(
HOLY MOLY!! You just paid $400 to get a starter replaced??? Even if the includes the starter you go ripped a new one! what was the starter, $150 tops? and they charged you $250 to put it in? you basically just gotta move the pass splash gaurd and the intake manifold brack and pull the starter of the bell housing and drop it down.... $400, Whew!

·
Probe Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did some calling around and the cheapest I could get the starter was $225....

Like I said, car in campus parking lot with no tools does not make jobs possible. I'll beable to make the money back next week when I go home, as long as we get some friggin snow....

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
jbr12 said:
Well, I did some calling around and the cheapest I could get the starter was $225....

Like I said, car in campus parking lot with no tools does not make jobs possible. I'll beable to make the money back next week when I go home, as long as we get some friggin snow....
sure wouldn't have thought a new starter would have costed that much.... I know i need to replace my starter selenoid soon before she completely fails on me.

I understand about school campus and no tools though... Gotta do what ya gotta do huh?

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
fiveliter302 said:
Well the starter is actually right on the Transmission... Should be easier to get to on an MTX!
ACTUALLY, that starter is only above the transmission on GT MTX's! On the ATX GT's and All 4cyls the starter is behind the motor.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is what i learned just recently. Take it some garage. It is leass of a hassel and they have the right tools. I learned this after having to fix 6 holes in dry wall trying to get the alt out.

Establish your self at a respectilbe shop. Like myself i work for a company that has company cars and i am i charge of everything for them. So i take all 17- 20 cars to them(this includes my girls family's cars, my family's cars, work cars, and all of the directors(they are like the bosses of everything) cars there. So they know me well and i have a good relationship with them.

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
phaze5 said:
This is what i learned just recently. Take it some garage. It is leass of a hassel and they have the right tools. I learned this after having to fix 6 holes in dry wall trying to get the alt out.

Establish your self at a respectilbe shop. Like myself i work for a company that has company cars and i am i charge of everything for them. So i take all 17- 20 cars to them(this includes my girls family's cars, my family's cars, work cars, and all of the directors(they are like the bosses of everything) cars there. So they know me well and i have a good relationship with them.
I agree with ya totally... I'm just a big DIY guy... I have most tool to do most basic jobs and a parking lot with some jackstands so i try to do everything i can myself. You really can save some money in labor doing that. But if you dont have a place to work on it, tools, or know how, I totally agree with you!

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
Lets see.... The last thing I actually took one of my car to the dealership for was a recall in 1999? And before that was because my car died in their parking lot in 1999. Other than that, I think the only other reason was free oil changes for buying the car in 1997....
I try to do all the work myself... It saves about $75 an hour in labor costs...

G

·
I just recently had the starter replaced on my car. . . . Bought the starter from AutoZone for $160. . . . There was a $60 core charge on top of that. . . but that was refunded upon return of the old starter.

Enjoy.

·
Crown Victoria P71 Member
17 Posts
Thats just run of the mill Mazda, right? I have a 99 626 with the 2.5 and there is a bunch of probe maintenance literature in the back of the owners manual packet. I did a starter on a 97 and it was ten minutes tops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts